Projecting 3D mid-air images and videos without a holographic screen

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Malaxus
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I am very curious about holograms and if there is a possible way to project 3D , mid-air images and videos on air with no holographic screen (The Princess Leia hologram in Star Wars). If it is not possible, how long till they actually start arriving to the world and how will they work/operate?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Malaxus said:
I am very curious about holograms and if there is a possible way to project 3D , mid-air images and videos on air with no holographic screen (The Princess Leia hologram in Star Wars).

Not that we know of at this time. Not like how holography is portrayed in things like star wars and star trek.

Malaxus said:
If it is not possible, how long till they actually start arriving to the world and how will they work/operate?

We don't even know if such a thing is possible, let alone when it will arrive and how it works.
 
Drakkith said:
Not that we know of at this time. Not like how holography is portrayed in things like star wars and star trek.
We don't even know if such a thing is possible, let alone when it will arrive and how it works.
What if such thing was possible and was to arrive in the next six years? What would change?
 
Malaxus said:
What if such thing was possible and was to arrive in the next six years? What would change?

Much more than I could possibly imagine and post about. I'll leave all that to your imagination since it isn't going to happen.

Do you have any questions that have to do with current, real-world physics? If not I'm going to have to lock this thread.
 
Drakkith said:
Much more than I could possibly imagine and post about. I'll leave all that to your imagination since it isn't going to happen.

Do you have any questions that have to do with current, real-world physics? If not I'm going to have to lock this thread.
No, just curious. Thanks anyways. 2020 is the year.