1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projections and diagonal form (Algebra)

1. Jan 17, 2009 #1
    If V has finite dimension n, show that two projections have the same diagonal form if and only if their kernels have the same dimension. (A projection is defined to be a linear transformation P:V-->V for which P^2=P; V is a vector space).

For the forward direction, I was thinking that if T and P are projections that have the same diagonal form, their matrices of transformation are similar.
    I think I need to use the formula
    dimV= dim ker(T)+ dim Im(T) Knowing that dim Im(T)= rank of the matrix of transformation of T and dim ker(T)= n-dim Im(T)
    So the result follows.

But I am not sure about the backward direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Form a basis of V from vectors in ker(T) and im(T). You know the two sets span V. That's where your dimension formula comes from. Think about what the matrix of T looks like in this basis.

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    Since the dim of the kernels are the same, then the dim of the Images are the same as well. We also know that for a projection V=ker T '+' Im T (where '+' denotes the direct sum)
    So if {e1,e2,...,ek} is a basis for ker T, we may complete this list by vectors of the basis for Im T to get a basis for V ({e1,e2,...,ek,f1,...,fm}.

Now the matrix of the transformation T with respect to this new basis is a k+m X k+m matrix. I don't know what else to say.

5. Jan 17, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

T(ei)=0, T(fi)=fi. It looks to me like that means you have a matrix with 0's and 1's on the diagonal. How many zeros and how many ones?

6. Jan 17, 2009 #5
    there should be k 0's and m 1's.

7. Jan 17, 2009 #6
    So the same thing for both the projections T and P, hence they have the same diagonal form?

8. Jan 17, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so k is dim(ker(T)) and m is dim(V)-dim(ker(T)). If you have two diagonal matrices with the same number of 1's and 0's on the diagonal, are they similar?

9. Jan 17, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. They have the same matrix in different bases. They are similar.

10. Jan 17, 2009 #9
    Thanks, it makes much more sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?