Understanding Projector Matrices: A Math Problem with Complex Numbers

• Thread starter math8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projector
I think the best way to think of projectors is the way you suggest: as a transformation that maps vectors to some subspace (including the possibility of the trivial subspace {0}).In summary, a matrix A=uv* where u and v are complex column vectors of length n is a projector if and only if P^2=P, which leads to a simple requirement for u and v in terms of their inner product. However, projectors are not invertible in general and their inverse only exists in the trivial case. Moreover, there is no such thing as the inverse of a vector.
math8
Consider the matrix A=uv* where u and v lie in C^n (C:complex numbers). Under what condition on u and v is A a projector?

I know that a projector is a square matrix P for which P^2= P.
Now according to this definition, would that make uv*=Identity. and then u be the inverse of v*?

Also what is the inverse of a vector that belongs to C^n? I mean what is u^-1? Is u^-1 a vector such that uu^-1 = the (nxn) identity matrix?
In what set would such a vector (u^-1) lie in?

Physics news on Phys.org

math8 said:
Consider the matrix A=uv* where u and v lie in C^n (C:complex numbers). Under what condition on u and v is A a projector?
do you mean an outer product of the column vectors u,v given by
A = uv*
where v* is the complex conjugate transposed?

math8 said:
Now according to this definition, would that make uv*=Identity. and then u be the inverse of v*?
I haven't done a whole heap with projectors, but here's some ideas based on general linear algebra

does P2= P, imply P = I?
if the inverse exists
P-1.(P.P) = I.P = P = P-1(P) = I
what if the inverse does not exist?
math8 said:
Also what is the inverse of a vector that belongs to C^n? I mean what is u^-1? Is u^-1 a vector such that uu^-1 = the (nxn) identity matrix?

I would try writing out the case for C2, and you should be able to see a relation for u & v in terms of their inner product that is easily extendable to the Cn,

math8 said:

No, the fact that (uv*)^2= uv* does NOT make uv* the identity operator. For example, the operator P((x,y,z))= (0, y, z) is a projection because P^2((x, y, z))= P((0, y, z)= (0, y, z)= P but P does not map (x,y,z) to itself.

And, in any case, there is no such thing as an "inverse" vector. "Inverse" only applies to functions and operators, not vectors.

After reading Halls's comment on vectors, consider the case when P is a square matrix defined by the outer product, ie if u,v are column vectors of length n, then P is the nxn matrix given by:

[tex] P = \textbf{u} \otimes \textbf{v} = \textbf{u} \overline{\textbf{v}}^T [/tex]

in the case you give Halls (sorry for the poor matrix display)
P =
|100|
|010|
|000|
which is clearly not invertible

From the definition of a projector P^2=P. In the matrix format it is clear, that if P is invertible then P=I.

So perhaps in general projectors are not invertible except in the trivial case above. This seems to make sense with the example of projecting Rn onto Rm, with m<n (and the 3-space onto a plane example given by Halls).

In any case, if you perform the outer product defined above for an arbitrary u,v. Then look at what is required to satisfy P2=P, it leads to a simple requirement for u,v in terms of their innner product

Yes, in general a projector "projects" a vector space onto a subspace of smaller dimension. The entire orthogonal subspace is the kernel of the projector and so the projector is not invertible.

But my remarks were really adressed, not to a projector, but to math8's talking about the inverse of vectors- which is not defined.

1. What is a projector math problem?

A projector math problem is a mathematical question that involves using a projector to solve for a variable or unknown value. It typically involves using geometric principles and equations to determine the size, shape, or position of an object being projected onto a surface.

2. How do I solve a projector math problem?

To solve a projector math problem, you will need to have a solid understanding of geometric principles and equations. You will also need to have a good grasp of algebra and be able to manipulate equations to isolate the variable you are solving for. It is also helpful to have a visualization of the problem, either through a diagram or by physically using a projector.

3. What are some common types of projector math problems?

Some common types of projector math problems include finding the size of an object being projected, determining the distance between the projector and the surface, and calculating the angle of the projector to create a specific image on the surface. Other types may involve reflections, refractions, or rotations of the projected image.

4. What are some tips for solving projector math problems?

One helpful tip for solving projector math problems is to draw a diagram of the problem to visualize the situation. This can make it easier to understand the problem and determine what information you have and what you need to solve for. It is also important to carefully label any given values and keep track of units to ensure accurate calculations.

5. Why are projector math problems important?

Projector math problems are important because they help to develop critical thinking skills and improve mathematical understanding. They also have practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and design. Additionally, solving projector math problems can be a fun and challenging exercise for anyone interested in mathematics.