1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about uniformly continuous functions

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    Let f be a uniformly continuous function on Q... Prove that there is a continuous function
    g on R extending f (that is, g(x) = f(x), for all x∈Q

I think I am supposed to somehow use the denseness of Q and the continuity of a function to prove this, but I am not quite sure where I should start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2
    Pick an irrational t, what can you do with rationals to estimate it?

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First you have to define what g(x) is. Yes, use the denseness of Q. Can you do that?

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4
    so would i be right to start out defining g as uniformly continuous on R?

then somehow using the denseness of Q to show that all the Qs are in R so g extends f?

... or am i not understanding what this means by extending?

6. Mar 9, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For every irrational t there are an infinite number of sequences q_i of rationals such that limit q_i->t. So you can define g(t)=limit f(q_i). Now you have to show that g(t) is independent of the sequence q_i. Use the continuity of f on the rationals. To show it's uniformly continuous, you can't define it to be. You have to show it is. Again use the uniform continuity of f.

7. Mar 10, 2009 #6
    ok I think I can do it now. thanks :) I'll let you know how it goes in a little bit!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook