Proof by Induction: Proving Sum Equation for n ∈ N

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equality for the given series using induction, summation, and binomial coefficients. The solution involves substituting x -> (1-x) and using integration to prove the equality. However, the proof of the original equality does not use induction. For n = m+1, the (m over k) in the summation should be (m+1 over k).
gruba

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\forall n\in \mathbb{N}[/itex]
[tex]\sum\limits_{k=1}^{n}(-1)^{k+1}{n\choose k}\frac{1}{k}=1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}+...+\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

-Induction
-Summation
-Binomial coefficient

The Attempt at a Solution

For [itex]n=1[/itex] equality is true.

For [itex]n=m[/itex]

[itex]m-{m\choose 2}\frac{1}{2}+...+(-1)^{m+1}\frac{1}{m}=1+\frac{1}{2}+...+\frac{1}{m}[/itex]

For [itex]n=m+1[/itex]

[itex]\left(\sum\limits_{k=1}^{m}(-1)^{k+1}{m\choose k}\frac{1}{k}\right)+(-1)^{m+2}\frac{1}{m+1}=1+\frac{1}{2}+...+\frac{1}{m+1}[/itex]

If [itex]m[/itex] is even, equality is true, but not if [itex]m[/itex] is odd.
Is this correct?

Could someone explain this in detail?

Physics news on Phys.org
gruba said:
1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n
Hi gruba:

You have made some mistakes.

(1) The series being added does not include (-1)k+1. That series should be 1-1/2+1/3-1/4...

(2) The series being added does not include (m over k) with each of the fractions.

Hint: For (m over k) see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi gruba:

You have made some mistakes.

(1) The series being added does not include (-1)k+1. That series should be 1-1/2+1/3-1/4...

(2) The series being added does not include (m over k) with each of the fractions.

Hint: For (m over k) see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Are you sure it is a mistake?
I have some solution which I don't inderstand:

[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k}(-1)^{k+1} x^k = 1-(1-x)^n\tag{1}[/itex]
[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k}(-1)^{k+1}\frac{1}{k} = \int_{0}^{1}\frac{1-(1-x)^n}{x}\,dx= \int_{0}^{1}\frac{1-x^n}{1-x}\,dx\tag{2}[/itex]
[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k}(-1)^{k+1}\frac{1}{k} = \int_{0}^{1}\left(1+x+\ldots+x^{n-1}\right)\,dx = 1+\frac{1}{2}+\ldots+\frac{1}{n}=H_n\tag{3}[/itex]

Hi gruba:

Your (1) is OK.
The left hand equality in your (2) is OK. I don't see how you get the right hand equality in your (2).

ADDED
Ah. You substituted x -> (1-x). You forgot to also substitute dx -> -dx.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi gruba:

Your (1) is OK.
The left hand equality in your (2) is OK. I don't see how you get the right hand equality in your (2).

ADDED
Ah. You substituted x -> (1-x)

Regards,
Buzz

This is my book's solution which I don't understand.
Is there some approach which doesn't involve integration?

Hi gruba:

I edited a bit more to my last post after you responded. Please take another look at my previous post.

Regards,
Buzz

Hi gruba:

Sorry. My mistake. The missing minus sign is corrected by reversing the top and bottom limits of the integration.

Regards,
Buzz

Hi gruba:

My apologies for my earlier confusion.

The derivation (1), (2) and (3) is a proof of the original equality. However it is not a proof by induction.

Going back to your original post, after
gruba said:
For n=m+1
the (m over k) in the summation should be (m+1 over k).

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is the principle of induction?

The principle of induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements that follow a specific pattern. It involves proving a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for a specific number, it is also true for the next number, thus proving its validity for all numbers in the sequence.

2. How does proof by induction work?

Proof by induction works by first proving the statement for a base case, often n=1. Then, using the principle of induction, it is shown that if the statement is true for a specific number, it is also true for the next number. This process is repeated until it can be shown that the statement is true for all numbers in the sequence.

3. What is the general form of a proof by induction?

The general form of a proof by induction is as follows:

1. Prove the statement is true for the base case.

2. Assume the statement is true for a specific number, k.

3. Show that if the statement is true for k, it is also true for k+1.

4. Conclude that the statement is true for all numbers in the sequence by the principle of induction.

4. What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

The difference between strong and weak induction lies in the assumption made in step 2 of the general form. In weak induction, the statement is assumed to be true for a specific number, k. In strong induction, the statement is assumed to be true for all numbers from 1 to k. Strong induction is more powerful and can be used when the statement depends on multiple previous cases.

5. What are some common applications of proof by induction?

Proof by induction is commonly used in various mathematical proofs, such as proving the formula for the sum of an arithmetic or geometric sequence. It is also used in computer science to prove the correctness of algorithms and in physics to prove certain laws and equations.