Proof check: continuous functions (General topology)

In summary: Thank you!In summary, the proof shows that if two distinct points in $Y$ exist, then there cannot be an open subset of $Y$ that includes both points.
mathmonkey

Homework Statement

Let ##A \subset X##; let ##f:A \mapsto Y## be continuous; let ##Y## be Hausdorff. Show that if ##f## may be extended to a continuous function ##g: \overline{A} \mapsto Y##, then ##g## is uniquely determined by ##f##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just looking for some verification/feedback/comments on my proof. Not sure if the way I handled it was correct, or the best way to approach the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Proof:
Let ##g## and ##h## both be extensions of the continuous function ##f##. We wish to show that they are equal everywhere. We need not check for points in ##A## since both agree with ##f## everywhere on ##A##, so it is sufficient to consider only limit points of ##A##. First we show that if ##x \in A'##, but ##x \not \in A##, then the set ##\{x\}## is not open in ##\overline{A}##. For since ##x## is a limit point of ##A##, every open set containing ##x## intersects ##A##, so that this open set must contain more than one element.
Now, suppose ##g(x) \not = h(x)##. By hypothesis, there exists open sets ##U## containing ##g(x)## and ##V## containing ##h(x)## such that the two sets are disjoint. Since ##g## and ##h## are both continuous functions, ##g^{-1}(U)## and ##h^{-1}(V)## must be open in ##\overline{A}##. However, note that ##g^{-1}(U) \cap h^{-1}(V) = \{x\}##, which is a contradiction, since finite intersections of open sets must be open, and we have already shown that ##\{x\}## is not open. Hence, ##g(x) = h(x)## for all ##x \in A'##, so that ##g = h## on ##\overline{A}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Attached

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 401
Hi hedipaldi,

Thanks for the response! Sorry, I forgot to explicitly mention this in the proof, but I believe that since the range $Y$ is a Hausdorff space by hypothesis, this implies that for two distinct points in $Y$, there exists disjoint open neighborhoods containing each point. This ensures that the pre-image of both of these open neighborhoods are also disjoint, except for the single point $x$.

Yes,but there may be other accumulated points of A common to the two pre images.

Hmm i see what you're saying. You mean their intersection on ##A## is empty, but they may still intersect at other points of ##A'## right?

How about this then? I can modify the argument to show that any subset of ##A' - A## cannot be open, where the contradiction will still hold since ##g^{-1}(U) \cap h^{-1}(V) \subset A' - A##. And any nonempty subset of ##A' - A## cannot be open since its elements are all limit points of ##A## and any open set containing them must intersect ##A##. Does this rectify the problem?

However, I'm confused on the part of your proof where you say "there exists ##a_1,a_2 \in A, a_1 \in g^{-1}(U), a_2 \in h^{-1}(V)##, so ##g(a_1) = g(a_2)## is in ##U \cap V##, contradiction to ##U \cap V##." What do you mean by ##g(a_1) = g(a_2)##? How did we know that ##g(a_2) \in U##?

since g(a1)=h(a2) and g(a1) is in U while h(a2) is in V,we have an element in the intersection of U and V.
I,mistakenly wrote g insted of h.

your last argument for the proof seems to be right.

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function between two topological spaces that preserves the topological structure. In other words, it is a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output, and vice versa.

2. How do you prove that a function is continuous?

To prove that a function is continuous, you need to show that the preimage of every open set in the output space is an open set in the input space. This can be done by using the definition of continuity or by using the topological properties of the input and output spaces.

3. Can a function be continuous at some points but not at others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and not at others. This is called a pointwise discontinuity. However, for a function to be considered continuous, it must be continuous at every point in its domain.

4. What is the difference between a continuous function and a uniformly continuous function?

A continuous function only needs to preserve the topological structure, while a uniformly continuous function needs to preserve the metric structure as well. This means that for a uniformly continuous function, small changes in the input will always result in small changes in the output, no matter how close or far apart the points are.

5. Can a discontinuous function still have some continuous properties?

Yes, a discontinuous function can still have some continuous properties. For example, a function can be discontinuous at a single point but still be bounded or have a limit at that point. However, it is important to note that a function must be continuous in order to have certain properties, such as being differentiable.