Proof/Explanation to why bullet hits the apple

In summary, the reason why the bullet hits the apple when aimed at it is because both objects are affected by the same acceleration due to gravity, causing them to fall at the same rate and resulting in them being at the same position at the same time. This is illustrated by the experiment described by CGP Grey where the bullet and apple fall at the same rate and are displaced by the same distance at the same time.
KingOfQuestions
I have a bullet with a initial velocity and an apple in free fall (-9.8 acceleration). Whenever I shoot the bullet it will hit the apple as long as the vector of the bullet is aimed at the apple. What I want to know is why does that occur? Why is it that as long as I aim the apple, the bullet hits it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question? If so then you need to use the template.

No this is not really a home-work question? It's just a little question that I had. But I really need to know the answer.

OK, I have moved it from the homework section into the technical forums.

KingOfQuestions said:
I have a bullet with a initial velocity and an apple in free fall (-9.8 acceleration). Whenever I shoot the bullet it will hit the apple as long as the vector of the bullet is aimed at the apple. What I want to know is why does that occur? Why is it that as long as I aim the apple, the bullet hits it?
The top rated comment by CGP Grey under this video has a nice graphics explaining that:

The bullet and the apple fall at the same rate.

Imagine performing the experiment in space, let the apple go and simultaneously fire the gun at it from a range of 300 m with a bullet velocity of 300 m/s, the bullet will hit the apple at the apples original location 1 second later.

Now modify the experiment by adding the earth. 1 second after being dropped the apple will be 4.9 m below its original position, and the bullet will be 4.9 m below it's original trajectory for exactly the same reason. Gravity accelerated them both by the same amount for the same time, and so displaced them by the same distance.

What is the proof or explanation for why a bullet hits an apple?

The proof for why a bullet hits an apple lies in the laws of physics. When a bullet is fired from a gun, it has a certain amount of kinetic energy. This energy is transferred to the bullet and causes it to move forward with a certain velocity. When the bullet hits the apple, this energy is transferred to the apple, causing it to move and ultimately break apart.

Why does the bullet hit the apple instead of passing through it?

The bullet hits the apple instead of passing through it because of the conservation of energy and momentum. When the bullet and apple collide, the energy and momentum of the bullet must be conserved. This means that the bullet cannot simply pass through the apple, but instead transfers its energy and momentum to the apple, causing it to move and break apart.

Is there a specific angle or location where the bullet must hit the apple?

No, there is not a specific angle or location where the bullet must hit the apple for it to break apart. As long as the bullet has enough energy and momentum, it will be able to break through the apple regardless of the angle or location of impact. However, certain angles or locations may result in a more dramatic or clean break.

What factors affect the outcome of the bullet hitting the apple?

The outcome of the bullet hitting the apple can be affected by several factors, including the speed and weight of the bullet, the distance between the gun and the apple, and the type and ripeness of the apple. These factors can impact the amount of energy and momentum transferred from the bullet to the apple, ultimately affecting the force and resulting damage of the impact.

Can a bullet miss the apple completely?

Yes, a bullet can miss the apple completely if it does not have enough energy or if it is fired from too far away. The energy of the bullet decreases as it travels, so if it does not have enough energy to break through the apple by the time it reaches it, it will not hit the apple at all. Additionally, if the gun is not aimed accurately, the bullet may miss the apple completely.