1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof/Explanation to why bullet hits the apple

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    I have a bullet with a initial velocity and an apple in free fall (-9.8 acceleration). Whenever I shoot the bullet it will hit the apple as long as the vector of the bullet is aimed at the apple. What I want to know is why does that occur? Why is it that as long as I aim the apple, the bullet hits it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Is this a homework question? If so then you need to use the template.

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3
    No this is not really a home-work question? It's just a little question that I had. But I really need to know the answer.

5. Oct 8, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

OK, I have moved it from the homework section into the technical forums.

6. Oct 8, 2015 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The top rated comment by CGP Grey under this video has a nice graphics explaining that:

7. Oct 8, 2015 #6
    The bullet and the apple fall at the same rate.

Imagine performing the experiment in space, let the apple go and simultaneously fire the gun at it from a range of 300 m with a bullet velocity of 300 m/s, the bullet will hit the apple at the apples original location 1 second later.

Now modify the experiment by adding the earth. 1 second after being dropped the apple will be 4.9 m below its original position, and the bullet will be 4.9 m below it's original trajectory for exactly the same reason. Gravity accelerated them both by the same amount for the same time, and so displaced them by the same distance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook