1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof for a problem (ordinary differential equations)

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    Gah, I've tried to solve this so many times, but I can't get on the right track, so I need help, naturally.

I want to show that 1/(dM/dx + dN/dy), where dM/dx + dN/dy is not identically zero, is an integrating factor for the homogeneous equation M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy = 0 of degree n.

I've done the obvious, which is multiplying the equation by the integrating factor and then differentiating parts of it to check for an exact equation.

So far, what I have is

((dM/dy)*(dM/dx + dN/dy) - d(dM/dx + dN/dy)/dy*M)/((dM/dx + dN/dy)^2) - ((dN/dx)*(dM/dx + dN/dy) - d(dM/dx + dN/dy)/dx*N)/((dM/dx + dN/dy)^2), and I think I should try to show that this is equal to zero and therefore is an exact solution.

The problem is, I don't know where to go from here. I've gotten two hints from my teacher, that is:

1) "Homogeneous equations of the degree n" means that

M(lambda*x, lambda*y) = lambda^n * N(x, y) and
    N(lambda*x, lambda*y) = lambda^n * M(x, y)

x(n*dM/dx - M*dN/dx) + y(N*dM/dy - M*dN/dy) turns into
    N(x*dM/dx + y*dM/dy) - M(x*dN/dx + y*dN/dy), which in turn becomes
    N*mu*M- M*mu*N, which = 0 and therefore shows that the equation is exact. mu, I assume, is the integrating factor, though I can't figure out how the second-to-last equation turns into the last one.

Anyway, I've got no idea how to use these two hints. For 2), I 've tried and failed to get the equation into the form specified in the first equation. As for 1), I've tried using that to get all M or N on one side of the equation, but when differentiating, I have to use the chain rule, so I ended up with incompatible differentials such as dM/du + dM/dy, where u = lambda * x.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: And sorry for not using the fancy latex thingys that give nice-looking math equations... I can't figure out how to do it, though that's not my main problem right now!
    Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?