Proof for determinant of a scalar multiplied by a vector

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
3.141592654
Messages
85
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let A be an n x n matrix and [itex]\alpha[/itex] a scalar. Show that [itex]det(\alpha A) = \alpha^{n}det(A)[/itex]

Homework Equations



[itex]det(A) = a_{11}A_{11} + a_{12}A_{12} + \cdots + a_{1n}A_{1n}[/itex]

where [itex]A_{ij} = (-1)^{i+j}det(M_{ij})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]det(A) = a_{11}A_{11} + a_{12}A_{12} + \cdots + a_{1n}A_{1n}[/itex]

[itex]det(\alpha A) = \alpha a_{11}A^{\alpha}_{11} + \alpha a_{12}A^{\alpha}_{12} + \cdots + \alpha a_{1n}A^{\alpha}_{1n}[/itex]

[itex]det(\alpha A) = \alpha (a_{11}A^{\alpha}_{11} + a_{12}A^{\alpha}_{12} + \cdots + a_{1n}A^{\alpha}_{1n})[/itex]

I can see that as I go through and calculate the cofactors I will continue to get an additional alpha coefficient each time, so that I will end up with [itex]det(\alpha A) = \alpha^{n}det(A)[/itex], but I am having trouble formalizing it. Thank you in advance for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't tried it, but induction on [itex]n[/itex] might work. Alternatively, I think it might be easier to think of the determinant as a multilinear function of the columns of the matrix rather than using cofactor expansion.
 
or do you know the expression for determinant using the e-permutation symbol, see:
http://www.math.odu.edu/~jhh/part2.PDF
example 1.1-9
should follow straight form there

However, it should follow straight from your work though, note that if [itex]C_{ij}[/itex] is a cofactor of [itex]A[/itex], then [itex]\alpha C_{ij}[/itex] is a cofactor of [itex]\alpha A_{ij}[/itex]
[tex]C_{ij} = (-1)^{i+j}M_{ij}[/tex]