1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof for determinant of a scalar multiplied by a vector

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A be an n x n matrix and [itex]\alpha[/itex] a scalar. Show that [itex]det(\alpha A) = \alpha^{n}det(A)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex] det(A) = a_{11}A_{11} + a_{12}A_{12} + \cdots + a_{1n}A_{1n} [/itex]

where [itex] A_{ij} = (-1)^{i+j}det(M_{ij}) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex] det(A) = a_{11}A_{11} + a_{12}A_{12} + \cdots + a_{1n}A_{1n} [/itex]

[itex] det(\alpha A) = \alpha a_{11}A^{\alpha}_{11} + \alpha a_{12}A^{\alpha}_{12} + \cdots + \alpha a_{1n}A^{\alpha}_{1n} [/itex]

[itex] det(\alpha A) = \alpha (a_{11}A^{\alpha}_{11} + a_{12}A^{\alpha}_{12} + \cdots + a_{1n}A^{\alpha}_{1n}) [/itex]

I can see that as I go through and calculate the cofactors I will continue to get an additional alpha coefficient each time, so that I will end up with [itex]det(\alpha A) = \alpha^{n}det(A)[/itex], but I am having trouble formalizing it. Thank you in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    I haven't tried it, but induction on [itex]n[/itex] might work. Alternatively, I think it might be easier to think of the determinant as a multilinear function of the columns of the matrix rather than using cofactor expansion.

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

or do you know the expression for determinant using the e-permutation symbol, see:
    http://www.math.odu.edu/~jhh/part2.PDF
    example 1.1-9
    should follow straight form there

However, it should follow straight from your work though, note that if [itex]C_{ij} [/itex] is a cofactor of [itex]A [/itex], then [itex]\alpha C_{ij} [/itex] is a cofactor of [itex]\alpha A_{ij} [/itex]
    [tex] C_{ij} = (-1)^{i+j}M_{ij} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook