Proving Congruence Modulo 5 for Powers of 4 and 9

In summary: Back on topic, for the proof of 5^{2n} \equiv 1\mod 8, we can use induction.Base case: n=0, 5^{2(0)} = 5^0 = 1 which is congruent to 1 modulo 8.Inductive step:Assume 5^{2k} \equiv 1\mod 8 holds for some k \in \mathbf{N}, i.e. 5^{2k} = 8m + 1 for some m \in \mathbf{N}.Then we want to show that 5^{2(k+1)} \equiv 1\mod 8, i.e. 5
saadsarfraz
Hi, how would you show that 4^(k)+4 * 9^(k) [tex]\equiv[/tex] 0 (mod 5)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that 9 is congruent to 4 mod 5.

Checking a few small values of k shows it is not always true.

robert Ihnot said:
Checking a few small values of k shows it is not always true.

I'm pretty sure that it is, in fact, always true.

d_leet said:
I'm pretty sure that it is, in fact, always true.

It is? If we have

[tex] 4^{k+4} \cdot 9^{k} [/tex]

Then letting [tex] k = 0 [/tex] we get

[tex] 4^{0+4} \cdot 9^{0} = 256 [/tex]

That is certainly not 0 mod 5. Next letting [tex] k = 1 [/tex] we get

[tex] 4^{1+4} \cdot 9^{1} = 9216 [/tex]

Also not 0 mod 5?

Actually, what he meant was [tex]4^k + 4*9^k \equiv 0 \text{mod} 5[/tex].

Hint. Try induction over [tex]k[/tex]. You may rephrase it to: for every [tex]k \in N[/tex], there's an [tex]n \in N[/tex] such that [tex]4^k + 4*9^k = 5n[/tex].

Last edited:
sorry for the typo i corrected it. so if i use induction than its easy for the base case K=0 which gives me 5 congruent 0 mod 5 which is true. Now, wsalem wrote that expression using the relationship a=mn+b with b=0. Now how am I supposed to use induction for k in this case when there is also n present.

would really appreciate if someone could help me on this.

Last edited:
Define [tex]P(k)[/tex] as the statement: [tex]4^k + 4*9^k = 5n[/tex] for some [tex]n \in N[/tex]

For the inductive step.
Suppose [tex]P(k)[/tex] hold, i.e there is an [tex]n \in N[/tex] such that : [tex]4^k + 4*9^k = 5n[/tex].
Then you need to show that P(k+1) also holds, i.e there is an [tex]m \in N[/tex] such that [tex]4^{k+1} + 4*9^{k+1} = 5m[/tex].

i know how induction works but i can't figure out what specific 4^k expression do i have to add/multiply to [tex]
4^{k+1} + 4*9^{k+1} = 5m
[/tex] make it work for m+1.

No, you are missing the point of induction here! It is k we want to run induction over, not m, so it is pointless to say "m+1". The existence of a such m is merely for the statement P(k) to hold at a particular case.

Inductive step:
Suppose P(k) holds, then [tex]4^k = 5n - 4*9^k[/tex]
Now [tex]4^{k+1} + 4*9^{k+1} = ...[/tex]

now, for P(k+1) to hold, you must show that [tex]4^{k+1} + 4*9^{k+1} = 5*m[/tex] for some integer m.

sorry i didnt mean m+1. What I'm saying is that there is some expression involving k which must be multiplied on either side of the equation. I don't know what that expression is.

I gave it to you in the earlier reply. Think harder, it should be quite obvious by now!

You know that

[tex] 4^k + 4 \cdot 9^k = 5m, k,m \in \mathbb{Z} [/tex]

Now we want to show that

[tex] 4^{l+1} + 4 \cdot 9^{l+1} = 5n, l, n \in \mathbb{Z} [/tex]

So let's work with our expression

[tex] 4^{l+1} + 4 \cdot 9^{l+1} = 4 \cdot 4^l + 4 \cdot 9 \cdot 9^l = 4 \cdot 4^l + 4 \cdot (4+5) \cdot 9^l = 4 \cdot 4^l + 4^{2} \cdot 9^l + 4 \cdot 5 \cdot 9^l = 4 \left(4^l + 4 \cdot 9^l) + 5 \cdot 4 \cdot 9^l [/tex]

The first part you know is divisible by 5 from the hypothesis, the 2nd part has a factor of 5 so obviously it is too.

Last edited:
I think holding the final answer to enable saadsarfraz to reach it would have been much better!

NoMoreExams,
NoMoreExams said:
You know that
[tex] 4^k + 4 \cdot 9^k = 5k, k \in \mathbb{Z} [/tex]

This is incorrect, it is [tex] 4^k + 4 \cdot 9^k = 5m[/tex] where [tex]k,m \in \mathbb{Z} [/tex]

Yes sorry I'll fix it

ohhh, so this completes the proof. thank you so much.

at wsalem. dude thanks soo much for the help but I am doing this for the first time, i don't think i could have done it on my own.

No problem. But now that you have seen it done. I think you'd be better off rewriting the whole proof!

Here's another quite similar problem, for practice sake

Prove that
[tex]5^{2n} \equiv 1\mod 8[/tex]

It should be routine by now!

Sorry for going off topic, but may I ask what mod stands for and how it works?

Mentallic, you are on topic.

[tex]a \equiv b \mod m[/tex] is read "a is congruent to b modulo m". Mathematically, it means [tex]a - b = mk[/tex] (or a = mk +b) for a fixed [tex]m \in \mathbf{N}[/tex] and some [tex]k \in \mathbf{N}[/tex]. In other words, [tex]a-b[/tex] is divisible by [tex]m[/tex].

Last edited:
wsalem said:
Mentallic, you are on topic.

[tex]a \equiv b \mod m[/tex] is read "a is congruent to b modulo m". Mathematically, it means [tex]a - b = mk[/tex] (or a = mk +b) for a fixed [tex]m \in \mathbf{N}[/tex] and some [tex]k \in \mathbf{N}[/tex]. In other words, [tex]a-b[/tex] is divisible by [tex]m[/tex].

Thank you wsalem :smile:

What is "Proof for k natural numbers"?

"Proof for k natural numbers" is a mathematical concept that involves providing evidence or logical reasoning to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers up to a given value, k.

Why is "Proof for k natural numbers" important?

"Proof for k natural numbers" is important because it allows us to establish the validity of a statement for a specific range of natural numbers, rather than just a few examples. This helps us to make generalizations and deductions about mathematical concepts.

What are some common techniques used in "Proof for k natural numbers"?

Some common techniques used in "Proof for k natural numbers" include mathematical induction, contradiction, and direct proof. Each of these methods involves using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate the truth of a statement for all natural numbers up to k.

What are the challenges of "Proof for k natural numbers"?

One of the main challenges of "Proof for k natural numbers" is finding the most efficient and effective method to demonstrate the truth of a statement for all natural numbers up to k. This often requires creativity and a deep understanding of mathematical concepts.

How can "Proof for k natural numbers" be applied in real-world situations?

"Proof for k natural numbers" can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in computer programming, to ensure that a program will work properly for all possible inputs. It can also be used in scientific research to validate theories and hypotheses that involve natural numbers.