What is the Best Way to Write Definitions for a Scientific Proof?

• Thread starter blackscience
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of writing definitions for a scientific proof is to provide clear and precise explanations of terms and concepts used in the proof. These definitions should be written concisely and specifically, based on established scientific terminology, and can be updated if new evidence warrants it. Including definitions in a scientific proof is necessary for accuracy and replicability, and it is important to carefully review and refine them to ensure their accuracy and effectiveness. Seeking feedback from colleagues and experts can also improve the quality of the definitions.
blackscience
Hello,

Does anybody have any advice on writing definitions for a scientific proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
definitions are given, you deduce things from them. the only advice you need is to do some, practice them, and read a lot of examples.

"define x as ..."
"let y be ..." ??
"denote x ..."

definitions should be reserved for concepts that are found to be important, even central.

How can one tell when the definitions are in conjunction with the hypotheses?

There is no such thing as a scientific proof. I suppose you mean mathematical or logical proof.

blackscience said:

by reading them and thinking (though i am guessing what you mean by conjunction)

blackscience said:

The definitions have to be very well stated so there is no fuzzyness in what they connote. This is called well-defined. One of the best ways to get well-defined objects in mathematics is with axioms. You set up a small number of statements, called axioms, describing the thing you want to prove theorems about, and then you prove two special theorems:
1. The axioms don't contradict each other. (Consistency)
2. There actually is something that the axioms describe (Existence)

If you can do that, the object is well-defined, and you can make theorems about it by referrring to the axioms. By view of your consistency proof, this won't lead you to contradictions, and by view of the existence proof, you won't be talking about nothing at all.

If I were to use Newton's work on Principa as a example. He used 8 definitions before he wrote his 3 axioms or laws of motion. Now I have written an equation on a natural phenomenon and I am wondering what parts I should define before I start writing the axioms. Actually I already started writing the axioms but I feel like I am ahead of myself. Because I think the definition will give the proof a clear understanding of the natural phenomenon.

well then just write the definition as "x is position" etc.
or the set A = {...|... }

1. What is the purpose of writing definitions for a scientific proof?

The purpose of writing definitions for a scientific proof is to clearly and precisely define the terms and concepts used in the proof. This helps to avoid confusion and ensures that the proof is accurately understood by others.

2. How should definitions be written for a scientific proof?

Definitions for a scientific proof should be written in a concise and specific manner, using precise language and avoiding any ambiguity. They should also be based on established scientific terminology and concepts.

3. Can definitions be changed or updated in a scientific proof?

Yes, definitions in a scientific proof can be changed or updated if new evidence or research warrants it. However, any changes should be clearly explained and justified in the proof.

4. Is it necessary to include definitions in a scientific proof?

Yes, including definitions in a scientific proof is necessary to ensure that the proof is accurate and can be replicated by others. It also helps to establish a common understanding of the terms and concepts being used.

5. How can I ensure that my definitions are accurate and effective in a scientific proof?

To ensure accuracy and effectiveness, it is important to carefully review and refine your definitions before including them in a scientific proof. Seeking feedback from colleagues and experts in the field can also help to improve the quality of your definitions.