Proof of 2D rotation commutativity

In summary, to prove that 2-dimensional rotations (via matrix transformations) are commutative, one can substitute trigonometric variables in two matrices and calculate them in different orders to show that the resulting matrices are the same. This is a sufficient proof.
MexicanCyber

Homework Statement

How is it possible to prove that 2-dimensional rotations (via matrix transformations) are commutative?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe subbing in trig variables in two matrices and then calculating them in different orders would result in the same matrix and prove it, but I am not sure it is sufficient.

Physics news on Phys.org
MexicanCyber said:

Homework Statement

How is it possible to prove that 2-dimensional rotations (via matrix transformations) are commutative?

I believe subbing in trig variables in two matrices and then calculating them in different orders would result in the same matrix and prove it, but I am not sure it is sufficient.

Yes, that would prove it.

1. What is "Proof of 2D rotation commutativity"?

"Proof of 2D rotation commutativity" is a mathematical concept that demonstrates that rotations in a two-dimensional space can be performed in any order and still result in the same final rotation.

2. Why is "Proof of 2D rotation commutativity" important?

Understanding the commutativity of 2D rotations is crucial in many fields, including computer graphics, physics, and robotics. It allows for the efficient calculation and representation of rotations in two-dimensional space.

3. How is "Proof of 2D rotation commutativity" proven?

The proof of 2D rotation commutativity is based on the properties of matrices and trigonometry. By representing rotations as matrices and using trigonometric identities, it can be shown that the order of rotations does not affect the final result.

4. Can "Proof of 2D rotation commutativity" be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of rotation commutativity can be extended to higher dimensions. However, the methods of proof may differ depending on the dimensionality of the space.

5. Are there any real-world applications of "Proof of 2D rotation commutativity"?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of 2D rotation commutativity, such as in computer graphics for 2D animations and video games, in robotics for precise movement control, and in physics for analyzing rotational motion.