Proof of Area Invariance of Closed Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the invariance of the area of a closed curve, regardless of how it is spliced into non-overlapping rectangles. The proof presented is questioned and suggestions are given for further improvement. The concept of measuring area accurately is also mentioned.
anantchowdhary
Hello!

Quite some time ago I'd asked for help with a proof that proves that area of a closed curve is invariant i.e : its independent of the way it is spliced into.

Say we splice a closed curve into one set of rectangles with parallel sides and we then splice an identical curve with rectangles with some different orientation, I basically sought to prove that area calculated by summing up areas in both cases would be equal.

Here i present a proof

I'd be grateful to members who could comment on the proof and check it for validity.

Attachments

• math.doc
    275.5 KB · Views: 233
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Please Help! 127 Views and not a single reply! :S

Kindly Help!

I have no idea what you mean by "spliced into". "Sliced into"? Do you mean "divided into non-overlapping subregions"? Also, how are you defining the "area" of a plane region?

Thanks a Lot for the reply! by splice i mean ''slice'' into non overlapping regions.

Firstly defining the area of a rectangle as its length*breadth, and then for any general closed curve defining its area as the sum of areas of 'n',non overlapping rectangles that it can be divided into.Where n--> infinity

Your proof fails because you can never get all the rectangles to be true rectangles so the formula lnwn + ln+1wn+1 + ... = A is not true. This is why you need a limit as w -> 0, and then you simply have integration which needs no proof.

@ mu naught : yes that is why i said 'n' rectangles where n-->infinity.In integral calculus nowhere do we prove that the area is invariant (i mean irrespective of orientation of coordinate axes in the case of integration)

It's tricky, but you need to be more precise than saying your definition of the area of a region A is the sum of the areas of n non-overlapping rectangles in A as n tends to infinity. What if I give you 10 rectangles that roughly provide the shape of the outer boundary of A and and then keep dividing the inner rectangles? The number of rectangles approaches infinity, but the area never gets closer to the intuitive area.

Even if you do get this to work, all you will have proven is that the sum of the areas of some rectangles tends to the same limit as that of some differently oriented rectangles, as their number goes to infinity. If you're interested in defining area correctly and proving its properties, you need to learn about measure.

@werg22 : Yes! This is exactly what i intended to prove,for which i have never seen a proof.

Related to Proof of Area Invariance of Closed Curve

1. What is the proof of area invariance of a closed curve?

The proof of area invariance of a closed curve is a mathematical concept that shows how the area enclosed by a closed curve remains the same, regardless of its size or shape. This is also known as the shoelace formula or the Gauss-Bonnet theorem.

2. How is the proof of area invariance of a closed curve useful in science?

The proof of area invariance of a closed curve is useful in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and geometry. It allows for accurate calculations of surface areas and volumes, which are essential in many scientific studies and experiments.

3. What are the key components of the proof of area invariance of a closed curve?

The key components of the proof of area invariance of a closed curve include the use of parametric equations, the Green's theorem, and the concept of integration. These components work together to show that the area enclosed by a closed curve is independent of the curve's shape or size.

4. Can the proof of area invariance of a closed curve be applied to any closed curve?

Yes, the proof of area invariance of a closed curve can be applied to any closed curve, regardless of its complexity or shape. This is because the proof is based on fundamental mathematical principles and does not depend on the specific shape of the curve.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the proof of area invariance of a closed curve?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the proof of area invariance of a closed curve. Some examples include calculating the surface area of irregularly shaped objects, determining the volume of liquids in containers with curved surfaces, and estimating the area covered by a crop field using satellite images.