Proof of disk moment of inertia using area density

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
scain6043
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Disk with radius R

σ = M/A

I = ∫ mr2

Homework Equations



Today we learned how to derive various moments of inertia via density equations (M/L, M/A, M/V). I understand all of them except on how to get MR2/2 for a disk.

The Attempt at a Solution



I = ∫mr2

σ = M/A

dM = σdA

A = πr(dr) <--- I know my problem is here and that it should be 2πr(dr). My question is why is this true? The area of a circle is πr^2 so why would an individual section have an are of 2πr(dr)?

I = σdAr2

I = ∫ σ(2πr)(r2)(dr)

I = σ(2π) ∫ r3 (dr)

∫ r3 (dr) = r4/4

Add back constants and substitute R in for r because integration is from 0 to R

I = R4/4 (σ) (2π) = R4/4 (M/A) (2π)

I = R4/4 (M/(πR2)) (2π)

I = MR2/2
 
Physics news on Phys.org