1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Energy Density in Capacitor?

1. Jun 1, 2014 #1
    Hi, I just registered and don't know if I opened the post in right place, this is not a homework question, only something I wonder.

I know that electric field energy density in a parallel-plate capacitor is;

u= ε * (E^2) / 2

and I know how this formula derivated for parallel-plate capacitor. But I learned that this formula can be generated for every geometrical type of capacitors. I tried to derivate this formula for cylindrical capacitors but I could not make it. Are there any general proof of this formula that can be used for every geometrical type of capacitors? İf there isn't, how can this formula generated for cylindrical capacitors? Thanks for your answers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    I cannot tell how you are thinking about this so I don't know how best to reply.
    The equation follows from the definition of energy density - which follows from the energy stored in an arbitrary electric field.
    http://www.ece.umd.edu/class/enee380-1.F2004/lectures/lecture12.htm
    ... for a parallel plate capacitor, E is a constant, so the energy density is the same everywhere.
    In general, the energy density will vary with space.

Please show your working for a cylindrical capacitor.

4. Jun 2, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply, I found this page from the link you gave me;
    http://www.ece.umd.edu/class/enee380-1.F2004/lectures/lecture11.htm

In this page 3-11.1 seems exactly what I needed but I couldn't understand what (∇.D) is. My guess is D can be charge but it doesn't make sense. Could you please tell this with a simpler math

5. Jun 4, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm afraid it does not get simpler than that. You need to learn more maths.
    I can try to put it in terms of things you may already know...

##\vec\nabla\cdot\vec D## is the divergence of the electric displacement field.
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/maxeq.html
    ... it is equal to the free charge density. So we write: $$\vec\nabla\cdot \vec D = \rho_{free}$$
    The displacement field is related to the electric field by ##\vec D = \epsilon\vec E## where ##\small\epsilon## is the electric permitivity.

So for a charge q at the origin, $$\vec D = \frac{q}{4\pi}\frac{\vec r}{r^3}$$
    ##\vec \nabla## is the divergence operator.
    In cartesian coordinates (using i-j-k notation) it is: ##\vec\nabla = \hat \imath \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \hat \jmath \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + \hat k \frac{\partial}{\partial z}##
    ... the divergence is kind-of like the gradient of a function but for vector fields.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook