Proof of Identity Theorem: Understanding G is Non-Empty

In summary: I don't know what you call it) we have that ##g_1=g_2## on some neighborhood of ##\varphi(a)##. Now, the inverse image of this neighborhood of ##\varphi(a)## under ##\varphi^{-1}## is the desired neighborhood of ##a##.
disregardthat
Science Advisor
I'm slightly confused at the proof of this theorem, hopefully someone can help.

Identity theorem: Suppose X and Y are Riemann surfaces, and [itex]f_1,f_2:X \to Y[/itex] are holomorphic mappings which coincide on a set [itex]A \subseteq X[/itex] having a limit point [itex]a \in X[/itex]. Then [itex]f_1[/itex] and [itex]f_2[/itex] are identically equal.

The proof starts out with: Let G be the set of all points [itex]x \in X[/itex] having an open neighbourhood W such that [itex]f_1|_W = f_2|_W[/itex].

Now, it seems like they assume without argument that G is non-empty. Why is G non-empty?

Also, maybe I'm just confused about this, what does it mean that A has a limit point a in X? As I understand it, a is simply a point which cannot be separated from A by two open sets. Couldn't it be the case that A is a one-point set, doesn't every set have a limit point? In that case I don't see how G could be non-empty.

EDIT: Ok, upon some thought I think I recall that a limit point [itex]a \in X[/itex] of A is a point which cannot be separated from [itex]A / \{a\}[/itex]. Is this right? In that case A must be infinite. Still, this doesn't resolve the question of the existence of such a W as described above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
disregardthat said:
I'm slightly confused at the proof of this theorem, hopefully someone can help.

Identity theorem: Suppose X and Y are Riemann surfaces, and [itex]f_1,f_2:X \to Y[/itex] are holomorphic mappings which coincide on a set [itex]A \subseteq X[/itex] having a limit point [itex]a \in X[/itex]. Then [itex]f_1[/itex] and [itex]f_2[/itex] are identically equal.

The proof starts out with: Let G be the set of all points [itex]x \in X[/itex] having an open neighbourhood W such that [itex]f_1|_W = f_2|_W[/itex].

Now, it seems like they assume without argument that G is non-empty. Why is G non-empty?

So far I don't see them assuming that ##G## is non-empty. Can you give the entire proof here (or at least the next few steps) so that I can check.

Also, maybe I'm just confused about this, what does it mean that A has a limit point a in X? As I understand it, a is simply a point which cannot be separated from A by two open sets. Couldn't it be the case that A is a one-point set, doesn't every set have a limit point? In that case I don't see how G could be non-empty.

EDIT: Ok, upon some thought I think I recall that a limit point [itex]a \in X[/itex] of A is a point which cannot be separated from [itex]A / \{a\}[/itex]. Is this right? In that case A must be infinite. Still, this doesn't resolve the question of the existence of such a W as described above.

A limit point of ##A## is a point ##a## such that for each neighborhood ##V## of ##a## holds that ##V\cap (A\setminus\{a\})## is nonempty. So ##A## can't be a one-point set in particular. Since your space is ##T_1## (all singletons are closed), you can indeed deduce that ##A## is infinite.

Continuation of proof:

By definition G is open. We claim that G is also closed. For, suppose b is a boundary point of G. Then [itex]f_1(b)=f_2(b)[/itex] since [itex]f_1[/itex] and [itex]f_2[/itex] are continuous. Choose charts [itex]\phi : U \to V[/itex] and [itex]\psi : U' \to V'[/itex] on Y with [itex]b \in U[/itex] and [itex]f_i(U) \subseteq U'[/itex]. We may also assume that U is connected. The mappings

[tex]g_i = \psi \circ f_i \circ \phi^{-1} : V \to V' \subseteq \mathbb{C}[/tex]

are holomorphic. Since [itex]U \cap G \not = \emptyset[/itex], the Identity theorem for holomorphic functions on domains in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] implies that [itex]g_1[/itex] and [itex]g_2[/itex] are identically equal. Thus [itex]f_1|_U = f_2|_U[/itex]. Hence [itex]b \in G[/itex] and thus G is closed. Now since X is connected either [itex]G = \emptyset[/itex] or G = X. But the first case is excluded since [itex]a \in G[/itex] (using the identity theorem in the plane again). Hence [itex]f_1[/itex] and [itex]f_2[/itex] coincide on all of X.

So basically,
why is [itex]U \cap G \not = \emptyset[/itex], and why is [itex]a \in G[/itex] by using the identity theorem in the plane?

[itex]U \cap G \not = \emptyset[/itex] is actually fine since we have already assumed [itex]b \in G[/itex]. But I don't see why such a b must exist. It does exist if G is non-empty.

So it boils down that the fact that [itex]a \in G[/itex].

EDIT: Just a note: [itex]b \in G[/itex] is wrong at this stage of the argument, but b being a boundary point of G implies that [itex]U \cap G \not = \emptyset[/itex] anyway.

Last edited:
In ##C##, you could apply the following argument:
Let ##f## be zero on a set ##A## with a limit point ##a##.Then there is a sequence ##a_n\rightarrow a## such that ##a_n\in A##. By continuity, we have ##0=f(a_n)\rightarrow f(a)##. Thus ##a\in A##.
Thus (in a neighborhood of ##a##):

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}\alpha_n (x-a)^n = (x-a) g(x)[/tex]

where ##g## is a holomorphic function. Clearly, ##g(a_n) = 0##. Thus by the same argument, ##g(a) = 0##. By induction we can show that ##\alpha_n = 0## for each ##\alpha_n##.

In a standard way, you can lift this result to the Riemann surface to prove that if ##f## and ##g## coincide on a set ##A## with limit point ##a##, then ##f## and ##g## coincide on a neighborhood of ##a##.

Thanks, this does resolve the issue. (I don't think that it follows that [itex]a \in A[/itex] by the way, but it doesn't affect your argument)

disregardthat said:
So basically,
why is [itex]U \cap G \not = \emptyset[/itex], and why is [itex]a \in G[/itex] by using the identity theorem in the plane?

[itex]U \cap G \not = \emptyset[/itex] is actually fine since we have already assumed [itex]b \in G[/itex]. But I don't see why such a b must exist. It does exist if G is non-empty.

So it boils down that the fact that [itex]a \in G[/itex].

Yeah, so consider the maps ##g_1## and ##g_2##. Since ##\varphi## are homeomorphisms, we have that ##\varphi(a)## is a limit point of ##\varphi(A)##. Furthermore, it is easy to check that ##g_1## and ##g_2## coincide on ##\varphi(A)##. Thus by the identity theorem in the plane (or the proof I gave in my last post), we can deduce that there is a neighborhood ##W## of ##\varphi(a)## such that ##g_1\vert_W = g_2\vert_W##. Then you can easily check that ##f_1 = f_2## on ##\varphi^{-1}(W)## and that ##a\in \varphi^{-1}(W)##. Thus ##a\in G##.

disregardthat said:
(I don't think that it follows that [itex]a \in A[/itex] by the way, but it doesn't affect your argument)

Oh right. I was mentally taking ##A## to be the set of all points where ##f_1## and ##f_2## coincide. But that wasn't given. Sorry.

Likes 1 person
a key point, not given in the statement, is the connectivity of X. Other than that, the proof of non emptiness of G rests on the principle of "isolated zeroes" for non trivial holomorphic functions. I.e. a non trivial powers series, looks like z^k.g(z) where g(0) ≠ 0. Hence there is an isolated zero at z=0. By taking local coordinates near a limit point a, and subtracting f1 from f2, one sees that f1 = f2 on a nbhd of a. This is why the set G is non empty. They presumably took it for granted that this fact from one vbl complex analysis was known.

That's right, a riemann surface is defined in my book to be connected.

1. What is the Proof of Identity Theorem?

The Proof of Identity Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that for any group G, there exists a unique identity element e, such that for any element x in G, the product of e and x is equal to x.

2. Why is understanding G being non-empty important in the Proof of Identity Theorem?

Understanding that G is non-empty is important in the Proof of Identity Theorem because it ensures that there is at least one element in the group that can serve as the identity element. Without this understanding, the theorem would not hold true.

3. How is the Proof of Identity Theorem used in science?

The Proof of Identity Theorem is used in science, particularly in the field of abstract algebra, to prove the existence of identity elements in various mathematical structures. It is also used in cryptography to ensure secure communication and data encryption.

4. What is an example of the Proof of Identity Theorem in action?

An example of the Proof of Identity Theorem in action is in the group of real numbers under addition. The identity element is 0, as any real number added to 0 remains unchanged. This theorem also holds true for other groups such as complex numbers under multiplication, where the identity element is 1.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Proof of Identity Theorem?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the Proof of Identity Theorem. One exception is the group of integers under multiplication, where there is no identity element. Another exception is the group of 2x2 matrices under addition, where the identity element does not exist. These exceptions occur when the group does not follow the properties of associativity and closure.