When is the minimum polynomial of a scalar matrix kI equal to t-k?

In summary, to show that A is a scalar matrix kI if and only if the minimum polynomial of A is m(t) = t-k, we must prove two directions. First, if A = kI then the minimal polynomial is (t-k) and there are no lower degree polynomials that could work. Conversely, if m(t) = t-k is the minimal polynomial of A, then A = kI. To understand this problem, it is important to start with the definitions of matrices, (minimal) polynomials, and roots of polynomials.
Robb

Homework Statement

Show that A is a scalar matrix kI if and only if the minimum polynomial of A is m(t) = t-k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(A) is monic
f(A) = 0 since A = kI

Next we must show that deg(g) < deg(f)

I guess I'm not sure where g comes from. Is it merely an assumption? I assume g is a polynomial with root A.
And, if deg(g) < deg(f) then deg(g) must be 0 because deg(f) is 1 so g must be a constant. I think I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around g. Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:
I guess I'm not sure where g comes from
Neither am I. You throw in polynomials ##f(t)## and ##g(t)## without having expalined / defined them.
What does it mean for ##m(t)=t-k## being the minimal polynomial of ##A\,##?

We have two directions to prove, which you should clearly separate:
a) Given ##A=k\cdot I \,\Longrightarrow\, (t-k)(A) = 0\text{ minimal }##
b) Given ##m(t)=t-k \text{ minimal polynomial of }A \,\Longrightarrow \, A= k \cdot I##

On the one hand, if you observe ##m(A) = A - k\cdot I ##, this yields the zero matrix because of the assumption. So the minimal polynomial of ## A## must be ##t-k ##, there are no lower degree polynomials that could possibly work. Constants are not suitable.
Conversely, if ##t-k ## is the minimal polynomial of ##A ##, then by definition ##A - k\cdot I = 0 ##.

Word of advice. Always start from the definitions. Make sure you understand key concepts in this problem: matrices, (minimal) polynomials, root(s) of a polynomial. That way there will be no mysterious symbols ##f## and ## g## appearing out of nowhere.

1. What is the minimum polynomial?

The minimum polynomial of a matrix or a linear operator is the monic polynomial of least degree that has the given matrix or operator as a root.

2. What is the significance of the minimum polynomial?

The minimum polynomial plays a crucial role in determining the algebraic structure and properties of a matrix or a linear operator, such as diagonalizability and eigenvalues.

3. How is the minimum polynomial calculated?

The minimum polynomial can be calculated using various methods, such as the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, the Euclidean algorithm, or the characteristic polynomial.

4. Can a matrix have multiple minimum polynomials?

No, a matrix can have only one minimum polynomial. However, different matrices may have the same minimum polynomial.

5. How is the minimum polynomial used in applications?

The minimum polynomial has applications in various fields, such as cryptography, signal processing, and control theory, where it is used to analyze and manipulate matrices and linear operators.