Proof of multiplicative inverse of complex number

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the formula for the multiplicative inverse of a complex number. The formula is z-1= a/(a2+b2) - bi/(a2+b2). The conversation discusses various methods to solve this problem, including using a system of linear equations and matrices. The conversation concludes with a helpful explanation on how to solve the problem using linear algebra.
philnow

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive the formula for the multiplicative inverse of a complex number. I say that:

z=a+bi
z-1=u+vi

and zz-1 must be 1 so

zz-1=(a+bi)(u+vi)
=(au-bv)+(av+bu)i
=1

So in order for zz-1=1, (au-bv) must be 1 and (av+bu) must be 0. My teacher has solved this as:

z-1= a/(a2+b2) - bi/(a2+b2)

I just don't know how to get that from au-bv=1 and av+bu=0

2. The attempt at a solution
Don't know how to get the last part... major brain fog. Please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a system of two linear equations in the two unknowns u and v. You can set it up as a matrix and do row reduction or you can do it the old fashioned way.

philnow said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive the formula for the multiplicative inverse of a complex number. I say that:

z=a+bi
z-1=u+vi

and zz-1 must be 1 so

zz-1=(a+bi)(u+vi)
=(au-bv)+(av+bu)i
=1

So in order for zz-1=1, (au-bv) must be 1 and (av+bu) must be 0. My teacher has solved this as:

z-1= a/(a2+b2) - bi/(a2+b2)

I just don't know how to get that from au-bv=1 and av+bu=0

2. The attempt at a solution
Don't know how to get the last part... major brain fog. Please help?

I don't see that you have used the fact that z-1 = 1/(a + bi). Multiply the latter expression by 1 in the form of (a - bi)/(a - bi). See if that helps.

Thanks Mark, I got the answer using your method :)

But, if I were to solve this using linear algebra, what would my matrix look like? I think:

a -b 1
b a 0

That doesn't look right, and I'm having difficulties solving this. Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
a matrix is overkill for this one.

you have au - bv = 1 and av + bu = 0

so u = (1 + bv)/a. substitute this into the second one to get[tex]av + b\frac{(1 + bv)}{a} = 0[/tex]

[tex]v(a + \frac{b^2}{a}) = -\frac{b}{a}[/tex]

[tex]v\frac{a^2 + b^2}{a} = -\frac{b}{a}[/tex]you can probably take it from there.

If you do want to do it with matrices, the first step is to multiply the first row by -b/a and add it to the second row. That should get you going.

Last edited:
You're a champ, thanks a lot!

1. What is a multiplicative inverse of a complex number?

The multiplicative inverse of a complex number is a number that, when multiplied by the original complex number, results in a product of 1. In other words, it is the reciprocal of the complex number.

2. How do you find the multiplicative inverse of a complex number?

To find the multiplicative inverse of a complex number, you take the complex number and divide it by its conjugate. The conjugate of a complex number is the same as the original number, except the sign of the imaginary part is flipped.

3. Why is the multiplicative inverse important in complex numbers?

The multiplicative inverse is important in complex numbers because it allows us to divide complex numbers, which is a necessary operation in many mathematical and scientific calculations. It also helps in simplifying complex expressions and solving equations.

4. Can every complex number have a multiplicative inverse?

No, not every complex number has a multiplicative inverse. Only non-zero complex numbers have a multiplicative inverse. If the complex number has a magnitude of 0, then its inverse cannot be defined.

5. How is the multiplicative inverse of a complex number related to its modulus and argument?

The modulus (absolute value) of a complex number is the distance from the origin to the point representing the complex number in the complex plane. The argument of a complex number is the angle formed between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the point representing the complex number in the complex plane. The multiplicative inverse of a complex number is related to its modulus and argument through the formula: inverse = (1/modulus) * (cos(argument) - i*sin(argument)).