1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof Regarding Functions of Independent Random Variables

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X and Y be independent random variables. Prove that g(X) and h(Y) are also independent where g and h are functions.

2. Relevant equations
    I did some research and somehow stumbled upon how
    E(XY) = E(X)E(Y)
    is important in the proof.

f(x,y) = f(x)f(y)
    F(x,y) = F(x)F(y)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am seriously stuck on this - I do not even know where to begin. I know there was a previous thread (around 7 years old) on this but I did not want to revive an old thread, and there wasn't much response in that thread.

I attempted to determine F(g(x),h(y)) by integration but then I would need f(g(x),h(y)), which (to my knowledge), is unknown unless I use a really messy transformation equation (and the question was stated prior to learning about transformations).

Expectations appear to be the way to go, since they do not require the actual density/probability function of the function of the random variable; however, I do not know of any property of expectations allowing us to deduce that two random variables are independent (since a covariance of 0 does not necessarily imply independence).

If anyone could provide me with somewhere to start, that would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Two random variables X and Y defined on the same sample space are independent if for for subsets A and B of real numbers

P(X ε A, Y ε B) = P(X ε A)P(Y ε B)

You need to prove that for f(X) and g(Y)

Start like this:

P(f(X) ε A, g(Y) ε B) = P(X ε f-1(A), P(Y ε g-1(B))

and see if you can get it from there.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  4. Aug 27, 2011 #3
    Wouldn't we be assuming that f and g are invertible? Or does that have no bearing on the proof? (I always got stuck because I thought we couldn't apply f or g inverse since we would have to then assume that f and g are invertible functions.)

5. Aug 27, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f and g need not be invertible. f^(-1)(A) is standard notation for the set {w:f(w) \in A}.

Anyway, another approach is to look at the multivariate characteristic function: two random variables Y1 and Y2 are independent iff their joint characteristic function factors: that is, Eexp(i*k1*Y1 + i*k2*Y2) = [E(exp(i*k1*Y1))]*[E(exp(i*k2*Y2))] for all (k1,k2),
    where i = sqrt(-1).

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook