Proof Regarding Functions of Independent Random Variables

In summary, the two random variables X and Y are independent if their joint characteristic function factors.
SpringPhysics

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be independent random variables. Prove that g(X) and h(Y) are also independent where g and h are functions.

Homework Equations

I did some research and somehow stumbled upon how
E(XY) = E(X)E(Y)
is important in the proof.

f(x,y) = f(x)f(y)
F(x,y) = F(x)F(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am seriously stuck on this - I do not even know where to begin. I know there was a previous thread (around 7 years old) on this but I did not want to revive an old thread, and there wasn't much response in that thread.

I attempted to determine F(g(x),h(y)) by integration but then I would need f(g(x),h(y)), which (to my knowledge), is unknown unless I use a really messy transformation equation (and the question was stated prior to learning about transformations).

Expectations appear to be the way to go, since they do not require the actual density/probability function of the function of the random variable; however, I do not know of any property of expectations allowing us to deduce that two random variables are independent (since a covariance of 0 does not necessarily imply independence).

If anyone could provide me with somewhere to start, that would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two random variables X and Y defined on the same sample space are independent if for for subsets A and B of real numbers

P(X ε A, Y ε B) = P(X ε A)P(Y ε B)

You need to prove that for f(X) and g(Y)

Start like this:

P(f(X) ε A, g(Y) ε B) = P(X ε f-1(A), P(Y ε g-1(B))

and see if you can get it from there.

Last edited:
Wouldn't we be assuming that f and g are invertible? Or does that have no bearing on the proof? (I always got stuck because I thought we couldn't apply f or g inverse since we would have to then assume that f and g are invertible functions.)

SpringPhysics said:
Wouldn't we be assuming that f and g are invertible? Or does that have no bearing on the proof? (I always got stuck because I thought we couldn't apply f or g inverse since we would have to then assume that f and g are invertible functions.)

f and g need not be invertible. f^(-1)(A) is standard notation for the set {w:f(w) \in A}.

Anyway, another approach is to look at the multivariate characteristic function: two random variables Y1 and Y2 are independent iff their joint characteristic function factors: that is, Eexp(i*k1*Y1 + i*k2*Y2) = [E(exp(i*k1*Y1))]*[E(exp(i*k2*Y2))] for all (k1,k2),
where i = sqrt(-1).

RGV

1. What are independent random variables?

Independent random variables are variables that do not affect each other's probability distribution. In other words, the outcome of one variable does not influence the outcome of the other variable.

2. How do you prove that two random variables are independent?

To prove that two random variables are independent, you need to show that their joint probability distribution is equal to the product of their individual probability distributions. This can be done using mathematical formulas and statistical tests.

3. Why is it important to establish independence between random variables?

Establishing independence between random variables is important because it allows us to simplify complex probability problems and make more accurate predictions. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between different variables and their impact on each other.

4. Can independent random variables become dependent under certain conditions?

Yes, it is possible for independent random variables to become dependent under certain conditions. This can happen if there is a hidden variable that affects both variables or if the variables are not truly independent and share a common cause.

5. How is the concept of independence applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of independence is applied in various fields such as statistics, economics, and engineering. For example, in statistical analysis, independence is assumed when conducting hypothesis testing or building regression models. In economics, independent variables are used to explain the behavior of different economic factors. In engineering, independence is important in designing systems and predicting their performance.