Proof That The Following System Does Uniform Oscilations

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a system with an ideal rope, spring, and pulley in equilibrium at a small angle a. The goal is to show that the system undergoes uniform oscillations. The conversation goes on to discuss using trigonometry, vector addition, and the law of conservation of energy to find a connection between the displacement of the spring and the force acting on the body. The conversation also touches on using calculus to find the force acting on the body.
You changed the sign in ##T'##, and then used ##-T'## in the resultant, huh? Think again.

As to what to do next, if you have a function f(x) and know the value of the function and its derivative at some value of x, how can you approximate the values of the function in the neighborhood of that point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I was a little confused. By doing that, I still have the tension pointing downward. So, I don't change the sign in T' and I have that:

[tex] R = -T' + mg = k(y-c)( a \frac{1}{ \sqrt{ (c-y)^2 - b^2 } } - 1 ) + mg [/tex]

As to what to do next, if you have a function f(x) and know the value of the function and its derivative at some value of x, how can you approximate the values of the function in the neighborhood of that point?

Agh...this is beyond my knowledge. If before I wasn't able to answer corectly at the questions you asked me, because I was nervous and frustrated, now I simply don't know the answer to that. I haven't studied the derivate yet. I just know the concept, that's all.

Honestly, I do not know how you are supposed to perform the final step without using some calculus.

What has been explained to you in your class?

Well, I haven't studied it in school yet, but I took a closer look by myself, as I was curious. Well, I understood the concept, and the graphic interpretation. I also know the derivate of a few elementary functions, and and some basic derivation rules. I'm sorry for my late response. So, what do you suggest? You could show me what you mean, and then I could ask you what I don't understand.

P.S. : I edited my post because it was full of typing mistakes. I don't know why I made so many.

Last edited:
You have the resultant function as a function of ##y##: ##R(y)##.

Now, for any function ##R(y)## its derivative ##R'(y)## at point ##y_0## is defined as the limit of $$ \frac {R(y_0 + \Delta y) - R(y)} {\Delta y} $$ when ## \Delta y \to 0 ##. That means that when ## \Delta y ## is small, we have $$ R'(y_0) \approx \frac {R(y_0 + \Delta y) - R(y)} {\Delta y} $$

In your case, ##y_0 = 0## and ## \Delta y ## is simply ##y##, so $$ R'(0) \approx \frac {R(y) - R(0)} {y} \to R(y) \approx R(0) + R'(0)y$$

And what is ##R(0)##, if ##y = 0## is the equilibrium position?

But I have a question. The derivate at point ##y_0## shouldn't be:

defined as the limit of $$ \frac {R(y_0 + \Delta y) - R(y_0)} {\Delta y} $$ when ## \Delta y \to 0 ## ?

You wrote:

## \frac {R(y_0 + \Delta y) - R(y_)} {\Delta y} ##

Well, we found the tension when ## y = 0 ## :

[tex] R(0) = kc ( a\frac{1}{ \sqrt{ c^2 - b^2 } } -1 ) [/tex]

DorelXD said:
But I have a question. The derivate at point ##y_0## shouldn't be:

defined as the limit of $$ \frac {R(y_0 + \Delta y) - R(y_0)} {\Delta y} $$ when ## \Delta y \to 0 ## ?

Yes you right, I made a mistake.

[tex] R(0) = kc ( a\frac{1}{ \sqrt{ c^2 - b^2 } } -1 ) [/tex]

You are forgetting the force of weight in the resultant. But, again, think of this physically: ## y = 0 ## is the equilibrium point. What is the net (resultant) force on a body in equilibrium?

Ahhhhh well, it is obviously 0 . I'm sorry for not answering so quick, but personally I'm not in a hurry, and I hadn't enough time to use the laptop or my smartphone :(

Do you see then, that all that you need is to find ##R'(0)##?

So, [itex] R(0) = kc ( a\frac{1}{ \sqrt{ c^2 - b^2 } } -1 ) + mg [/itex]

And I need to derivate this function, right ?

Yes, you need to differentiate ##R(y)##.

But you said that I need to differentiate R(0), not R(y) .

You cannot differentiate ##R(0)##. It is a number, not a function. You differentiate the function with respect to its arguments, which gives you its derivative function, then you evaluate the derivative at 0.

But I've never differentiated something like that:

[tex] R(y) = k(y-c)( a \frac{1}{ \sqrt{ (c-y)^2 - b^2 } } - 1 ) + mg [/tex]

It looks difficult...

I am not sure you have to. If you have this problem while not having sufficient knowledge of calculus, it may be that you are supposed to approach it differently. I asked you earlier what you had learned in your class before, that might give you a clue.

There is indeed a different approach. I have just talked to somebody I know, and he gave me a hint. Actually he remindend me of some basic geomtery. Well, I will shortly post the beginning of the solution. You'll se that it's quite interesting, and that we both missed some things.

The solution I will post uses the aproximation of the trigonomteric functions when the angles are very small, and some basic euclidian geometry. It was fairly simple. I don't know how we both missed it...