1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof w/ natural log and Riemann Sum

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    Problem states:

(A) Use mathematical induction to prove that for [tex]x\geq0[/tex] and any positive integer [tex]n[/tex].
    [tex]e^x\geq1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+...+\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

(B) Use part (A) to show that [tex]e>2.7[/tex].
    (C) Use part (A) to show that
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^x}{x^k} = \infty[/tex]
    for any positive integer [tex]k[/tex].

I thought that I could easily show that e to the x power was greater than 1 and if I could show that it was greater than 1 plus the Riemann sum:
    [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex] then I would have my proof...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2
    Base case x = 0 then the LHS becomes [itex]e^0 = 1[/itex] and the RHS becomes [itex]1 + 0 + ... + 0 [/itex]. So the inequality holds. For x = k then you have [tex]e^k \geq 1 + k + \frac {k^2}{2} + ... + \frac {k^n}{n!}[/tex]. Now you do x = k+1 and you have [tex]e^k e = e^{k+1} \geq e + ek + e \frac {k^2}{2} + ... + \frac {ek^n}{n!}[/tex]. Clearly [tex]e>1,\ ek> k,\ e\frac {k^2}{2} > \frac {(k+1)^2}{2}[/tex] and so on. Therefore

[tex]e^{k+1} \geq 1 + (k+1) + \frac {(k+1)^2}{2} + ... + \frac {(k+1)^n}{n!}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  4. Jan 14, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No! x is a real variable so you can't do induction on x! The "induction variable" is n. The base case is for n=0. Prove that for x>= 0, ex>= 1 (which is easy: ex is an increasing function.)

Now, assume that ex>= 1+ x+ (1/2)x2+ ...+ (1/k!)xk for some k. You need to prove that ex>= 1+ x+ (1/2)x2+ ...+ (1/k!)xk+ (1/(k+1)!)xk+1.

What happens if you assume that is not true, that ex< 1+ x+ (1/2)x2+ ...+ (1/k!)xk+ (1/(k+1)!)xk+1 and differentiate both sides?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  5. Jan 14, 2006 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not much, differentiation might not preseve the inequality (I might not see what you have in mind here?)

You can go from k to k+1 by a definite integral though (I'll leave it to Xcron to set up).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?