Proofing: sqrt(7+sqrt(48))+(sqrt(7-sqrt(48))=4

• Thread starter Dwellerofholes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the expression (sqrt(7+sqrt(48)))+(sqrt(7-sqrt(48))) into 4 without manipulating the right side. The solution involves using Fermat's squaring technique and defining x as sqrt(7+sqrt(48))+sqrt(7-sqrt(48)). The final simplified expression is x^2 = 14+2*sqrt(49-48) = 14+2*1 = 16.
Dwellerofholes
i need help proving that

(sqrt(7+sqrt(48)))+(sqrt(7-sqrt(48))) = 4

the limitations are that you cannot manipulate the right side...only the left..

so basically, i need help simplifying the left down to be 4

thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
Square the lhs.

Hint:
(a+b)(a-b) = (a² - b²)

Try multiplying the left by (sqrt(7 + sqrt(48))-(sqrt(7-sqrt(48)) on itself. Since that's 1, you won't be changing the value, but you'll find a few things simplifying.

yea, i did that already, but the problem is, then i have complex radical denomintaors...

You should use Fermat's squaring technique.

wait a sec, what is the lhc...to not change the value, wouldn't i have to multiply it over itself if i wanted to get teh a^2 -B^2?

can you clarify what you mean?

Simplify the expression:
[tex](\sqrt{7+\sqrt{48}}+\sqrt{7-\sqrt{48}})^{2}[/tex]

that would change the value...i would have to also square the 4 on the right side...which is against the rules of the problem

Dwellerofholes said:
that would change the value...i would have to also square the 4 on the right side...which is against the rules of the problem
No.

Define "x" as follows:
[tex]x=\sqrt{7+\sqrt{48}}+\sqrt{7-\sqrt{48}}[/tex]
Hence, we have:
[tex]x^{2}=(\sqrt{7+\sqrt{48}}+\sqrt{7-\sqrt{48}})^{2}[/tex]
That is:
[tex]x^{2}=7+\sqrt{48}+2\sqrt{(\sqrt{7+\sqrt{48}})(\sqrt{7-\sqrt{48}})}+7-\sqrt{48}[/tex]
that simplified reads:
[tex]x^{2}=14+2\sqrt{49-48}=14+2*1=16[/tex]

ok, thanks dude...i got as far as your third step before i realized that you posted again...i realized my error...

thanks for the great help guys!

just do the whole squaring thing, and instead of having 4^2 put it all under a radical ... that way you get sqrt ( 16) = 4 .. which is true to some extent, because -4^2 = 16 as well ..

... i hate that little thing so much

Related to Proofing: sqrt(7+sqrt(48))+(sqrt(7-sqrt(48))=4

1. What is the equation "sqrt(7+sqrt(48))+(sqrt(7-sqrt(48))=4" used for?

The equation "sqrt(7+sqrt(48))+(sqrt(7-sqrt(48))=4" is used for finding the value of x in a quadratic equation.

2. Why does the equation involve square roots?

The equation involves square roots because it is a quadratic equation with two variables, and using square roots helps to simplify the equation and find the value of x.

3. Is there a specific method for solving this equation?

Yes, there is a specific method for solving this equation. It involves isolating the square root terms and squaring both sides of the equation to eliminate the square roots. Then, simplifying the equation to find the value of x.

4. Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. In this case, the equation has two possible solutions for x.

5. How do I know if I solved the equation correctly?

You can verify if you solved the equation correctly by substituting the value of x into the original equation and checking if both sides of the equation are equal. If they are equal, then you have solved the equation correctly.