Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Propagating Uncertainty for sets of data?

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1
    I'm writing the paper on this experiment I just did. Basically I took sets of data for two variables (x,y) and I fit the points to a line in Origin to extract the value that I was trying to measure (J).
    *Using generic variables here*
    I found a value for J where

J = [8*∏*x*a(b+c)] / y

I did this by graphing the line

y(x) = [8*∏*a(b+c) / J] * x
    and extracting J from the slope

The problem is reporting my value of J with an uncertainty. a, b, and c are distances that I measured only 1 time, so I know the uncertainty on those. However, x and y were both measured 10 times in 3 trials each. I fit the average of those 3 trials (10 data points) to a line to obtain J.

Anyone have experience with fitting a lot of data to a line and reporting uncertainties?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What errors are involved in measuring x and y? In some measurement scenarios, one sets the value of x and then measures the value of y. So the error in y depends not only on the error of the instrument that measures y, it also depends on the error made in setting x by the instrument that sets x. In other scenarios, you attempt to measure x and y at a time t and use some instrument that measures t.

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My two cents:
    When you do a linear regression of x versus y and get the slope, you can calculate the confidence interval of the slope (see http://stattrek.com/regression/slope-confidence-interval.aspx ). Suppose S is the slope from the linear regression, and [L1, L2] is the 95% confidence interval for S.
    So X = S*Y, where L1 < S < L2 with 95% confidence.

Now the question is whether you can say that L1 < [8*∏*a(b+c) / J] < L2 with 95% confidence, where a, b, c are your measurements and J has some physical meaning.

That is, can we say that (assuming L1 & L2 are positive), 8*∏*a(b+c)/L2 < J < 8*∏*a(b+c)/L1 with 95% confidence?

Your measurement of a, b, c were not part of a known statistical process. You either have to make repeated measurements and get statistics on those measurements, or you can make some worst-case estimates of the measurement errors and adjust the confidence interval for J accordingly. Most experiments have some small measurement errors and people adjust their conclusions accordingly. Hopefully, they are small enough to still get useful results.

5. May 10, 2014 #4
    mayby you should have a look into "Data Fitting and Uncertainty - A practical introduction to weighted least squares and beyond", ISBN 978-3-8348-1022-9, This textbook explains the determination of uncertainties of model parameters quite well and also tells you something about error propagation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook