Properties of this electric field

In summary: It would have to be generated with a particular time-varying magnetic field such that ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} = -\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}##.
Gavroy
I have the following vector field:[itex]E=E_0(-sin(\phi),cos(\phi),0)^T[/itex] and [/itex]E_0[/itex] is some constant. Does anybody here have an idea what this electric field does to a metallic sphere that is in it? Thereby I mean, does it create a dipole moment or does it create a current and so on?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is ϕ? Is it a coordinate (in which way?), is it a parameter, does it depend on anything?

does it create a dipole moment
In general, yes.
or does it create a current
Not in equilibrium.

it is the 0 to 2pi angle of the spherical coordinates

So (1,0,0) has ϕ=0?
In other words, E is rotating around the z-axis?
This cannot be the electric field of a static setup.

Where is the metallic sphere?

The origin of the sphere is at (0,0,0). Yeah, probably it is a rotation field around the z-axis. I do not understand what you mean by (1,0,0) ?

Do you know how to calculate the dipole moment that is induced by this field?

Frankly, it would be even better if you could give me a general idea of how to calculate the dipole moment of a sphere in an electric field.

Due to the symmetry of the problem, you don't get a dipole moment if the sphere is in the origin.

Frankly, it would be even better if you could give me a general idea of how to calculate the dipole moment of a sphere in an electric field.
In general, a conducting sphere in an electric field is hard to analyze in an analytic way. A numerical simulation is possible.

So basically this field does nothing to our sphere or can you think of some effect that will happen due to this field?

Well, the sphere has to influence the field in some way, as an electric field perpendicular to the surface is not a stable configuration. Where does your field come from? A natural source would be a time-dependent current in z-direction*, but that current would have to go through your sphere (and through everything else) - and the current would grow without bound, which is not a very physical setup.*edit: no, that would give this field configuration as magnetic field. You need something more complicated

Last edited:
Gavroy said:
I have the following vector field:[itex]E=E_0(-sin(\phi),cos(\phi),0)^T[/itex] and [itex]E_0[/itex] is some constant. Does anybody here have an idea what this electric field does to a metallic sphere that is in it? Thereby I mean, does it create a dipole moment or does it create a current and so on?

Looks like you just have a uniform electric field (before the conducting sphere is brought in). The field is parallel to the xy plane and points in a direction that makes an angle ##\phi## to the y-axis.

This problem is worked out in many EM texts (with the initial uniform field usually along one of the axes). Placing the sphere in the electric field causes a nonuniform surface charge density to be induced on the sphere. This surface charge produces an electric field outside the sphere that has the same form as the electric field of a dipole. So, the total electric field outside the sphere will be the superposition of the uniform field and the dipole field of the induced charge.

This solution is usually obtained by first solving Laplace's equation for the electric potential and then using the potential to get the field. See for example here.

An alternate approach is to use the method of images. See http://archive.org/stream/ClassicalElectrodynamics/Jackson-ClassicalElectrodynamics#page/n51/mode/2up.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Looks like you just have a uniform electric field (before the conducting sphere is brought in). The field is parallel to the xy plane and points in a direction that makes an angle ##\phi## to the y-axis.
ϕ is a coordinate, it depends on the position.

mfb said:
ϕ is a coordinate, it depends on the position.

Hello, mfb.
I guess I misinterpreted the notation. I thought ##E = E_0(-sin(\phi), cos(\phi), 0)^T## was just a way of saying that ##E_x = -E_0sin(\phi)##, ##E_y = E_0cos(\phi)##, and ##E_z = 0## where ##\phi## is a some constant.

I see now that earlier Gavroy stated that ##\phi## is apparently the azimuthal angle in spherical coordinates.

So, I'm confused now as to what the components in ##E = E_0(-sin(\phi), cos(\phi), 0)^T## represent. Are they Cartesian components ##E_x, E_y, E_z## or spherical components ##E_r, E_\theta, E_\phi##, or something else?

OK, does this picture represent the field and the sphere, (i.e., a cross-section through the sphere parallel to the xy plane)? This assumes the components given in the OP are Cartesian and ##\phi## is azimuthal angle.

Clearly this field doesn't represent an electrostatic field, as ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} \neq 0##. It would have to be generated with a particular time-varying magnetic field such that ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} = -\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}##. Don't know if this is possible. [EDIT: I guess you could have a magnetic field in the negative z direction that increases proportional to time and has a magnitude that falls off inversely as the distance from the z-axis.]

Attachments

• Field 2.gif
    Field 2.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region around an electrically charged particle or object in which other charged particles experience a force. It is a fundamental property of electricity and is integral to understanding the behavior of charged particles.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created when a charged particle or object exerts a force on other charged particles in its surroundings. This can happen through a process called electrostatic induction, where the presence of a charged object causes the redistribution of charges in nearby objects, creating an electric field.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charged particles creating the field, as well as the distance between the charged objects. The electric field also depends on the medium through which it is passing, as different materials can affect the electric field differently.

4. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed in the electric field. The direction is always away from positively charged particles and towards negatively charged particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include the operation of electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, the generation and transmission of electricity, and the functioning of electric motors and generators. Electric fields are also used in medical imaging techniques such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms.