Is Everything in Physics Just a Collection of Properties?

• Thread starter student34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of properties in physics and how everything can be reduced to a property. The participants also touch on the idea that properties are used to describe particles and the world around us. They also discuss the role of properties in defining and understanding objects and how they can affect and change the existing properties of those objects.
student34
In physics, it seems like everything is ultimately reduced to a property. I used to believe that everything reduces down to matter and energy. But it seems as though matter and energy are made up of properties.

For example, pure energy such as a photon, seems to be its parts/properties. Its spin, parity, stability etc. seem to be what it actually is.

So then what is something which isn't a property? Do we just live in a world of properties and nothing else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, I don't think that's really how I'd put it.

Physics is the process of description. We describe every fundamental particle (and, well, everything) through the examination of their properties. For instance, an electron is a particle with rest mass 0.511 MeV/c^2, spin 1/2, charge -1 and does not carry colour charge (is a lepton). If it had other properties, we would label it with those as well. For instance, I could have an electron with a certain kinetic energy ##T##, so I'd add that to the list.

There cannot be something that isn't a property of a particle, because I could always list it as a property. Then, the behaviour of the particle is described by its properties. So in some sense, yes, the world is described by properties and nothing else, but that doesn't make a property an actual thing.

Likes student34
e.bar.goum said:
Hm, I don't think that's really how I'd put it.

Physics is the process of description. We describe every fundamental particle (and, well, everything) through the examination of their properties. For instance, an electron is a particle with rest mass 0.511 MeV/c^2, spin 1/2, charge -1 and does not carry colour charge (is a lepton). If it had other properties, we would label it with those as well. For instance, I could have an electron with a certain kinetic energy ##T##, so I'd add that to the list.

There cannot be something that isn't a property of a particle, because I could always list it as a property. Then, the behaviour of the particle is described by its properties. So in some sense, yes, the world is described by properties and nothing else, but that doesn't make a property an actual thing.

Oh I see. We give properties to things. This makes sense because it seems like we can never really know exactly what something is directly except for how it interacts with its environment.

e.bar.goum said:
We describe every fundamental particle (and, well, everything) through the examination of their properties.
I concur with that definition...

Here's a few more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_property
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property_(philosophy)

student34 said:
We give properties to things.

By definition, a thing or things, already possesses properties... therefore, we can discern, perceive, or

recognize "things" from the existence of these... properties.

Though, this can also have the peculiar effect of somewhat changing the things... "existing" properties... :oldwink:

Last edited:
Likes student34

FAQ: Is Everything in Physics Just a Collection of Properties?

1. What is the difference between property and something that is not a property?

The main difference between property and something that is not a property is ownership. Property refers to something that is owned by someone and can be legally transferred or sold. Something that is not a property does not have an owner and cannot be bought or sold.

2. How do you determine if something is a property or not?

There are several factors that can be used to determine if something is a property or not. These include ownership, transferability, and legal recognition. If something is owned by someone, can be legally transferred or sold, and is recognized by law as a possession, then it can be considered a property.

3. Can something be both a property and not a property?

No, something cannot be both a property and not a property at the same time. It either has an owner and can be legally transferred or sold, making it a property, or it does not have an owner and cannot be bought or sold, making it not a property.

4. Why is the concept of property important?

The concept of property is important because it allows individuals and societies to establish ownership and control over resources. This helps to prevent conflicts and allows for the efficient use and distribution of resources. Property also plays a crucial role in the economy as it encourages investment, innovation, and economic growth.

5. Are there different types of property?

Yes, there are different types of property such as personal property, real property, intellectual property, and public property. Personal property refers to tangible possessions that are owned by an individual, while real property refers to land and buildings. Intellectual property refers to intangible creations such as ideas, inventions, and artistic works. Public property refers to resources that are owned and managed by the government for the benefit of the public.