Proportionality calculations (Coulombs Law)

In summary, according to Coulomb's law, two unlike charges attract each other with a force of 5 x 10^-5 when placed 12 cm apart. The force between the charges when they are 4.0cm apart would be 20 x 10^-5, and the distance between them when the force is 2.0 x 10^-4 would be 6 cm. The method of solving these types of questions is to use Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By understanding this law, one can solve for unknown variables in Coulomb's law equations.
whitestrat
Two unlike charges attract each other with a force of 5 x 10^-5 when placed 12 cm apart.

1) What is the force between them when they are 4.0cm apart

2)At what distance apart will the force between them be 2.0 x 10^-4

now i have attempted these questions, but i cannot find a suitable method of solving these questions that is consistent with all types of these questions...
Can anyone be willing to show me a method of solving these types of questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
whitestrat said:
Two unlike charges attract each other with a force of 5 x 10^-5 when placed 12 cm apart.

1) What is the force between them when they are 4.0cm apart

2)At what distance apart will the force between them be 2.0 x 10^-4

now i have attempted these questions, but i cannot find a suitable method of solving these questions that is consistent with all types of these questions...
Can anyone be willing to show me a method of solving these types of questions.

you know Coulombs Law?

[tex] F = \frac { k q_1 q_2 }{r^2} [/tex]

In this problem you have F = 5 x 10^-5 N if r = 5 cm. What would F be if r = 4.0 cm

yes i know coulombs law, its just the question is worked out using proportionality from coulombs law

Hi whitestrat,

Coulomb's law is an inverse square law, so, for example, if you double the distance between the charges the force decreases by a factor of four; if you halve the distance, the force increases by a factor of four.

Here the distance goes from 12cm to 4cm. So what happens to the force?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two electrically charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to proportionality calculations?

Proportionality calculations are used to determine the strength of the electrostatic force between two charged particles, as described by Coulomb's Law. By calculating the proportionality constant and using the known values of the charges and distance, we can determine the exact magnitude of the force.

3. What is the formula for calculating the force using Coulomb's Law?

The formula for calculating the force between two charged particles is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the proportionality constant (8.99 x 109 N * m2 / C2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the particles in meters.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the proportionality constant in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for the proportionality constant in Coulomb's Law is Newtons * meters2 / Coulombs2 (N * m2 / C2). This unit is also known as the electric constant or the vacuum permittivity.

5. How does distance affect the strength of the electrostatic force between two charged particles?

According to Coulomb's Law, the electrostatic force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. Conversely, when the distance between the particles decreases, the force between them increases.