Need Help Using a Proprietary Laptop Keyboard on a Custom Computer?

• Thread starter SlidemanD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the conversation discusses installing a small, flat keyboard from an old Dell notebook onto a Frankenstein computer. The individual is seeking advice on how to achieve compatibility, whether it is a simple pinout or requires an IC. It is mentioned that laptop keyboards do not use standard connections and that the individual may need to convert it to USB or PS2. The option of using software like VNC is also mentioned, but it may be costly.
SlidemanD
Hello all,

I recently parted out an old dell notebook and am left with a nice, tactile, small, flat keyboard. I want to install it on my frankenstein computer, which has a very convenient case mod for this. I've looked around for pinouts and such to get ps2 or usb going, but to no avail. what kind of hardware must I find/build to achieve compatibility? Is it a simple pinout or do I need an IC? Any of you hardware wizards done something like this? any help is greatly appreciated.

-SlidemanD

Computer science news on Phys.org
Laptop keyboards don't use any standard connections. You'll need to find a way to convert it to USB or PS2. There is software like VNC that will let you use your laptop keyboard to control your desktop, but it will cost $$. And for that $$ you might as well buy one of those super flat apple keyboards.

Which model?

It's an old Dell Latitude, and I'm not even sure if the controller is on the keyboard itself or integrated in the mobo.

I am not an expert in computer hardware and cannot provide specific advice on how to achieve compatibility with the proprietary laptop keyboard. However, I understand your desire to repurpose and use the keyboard on your frankenstein computer. In order to achieve compatibility, you may need to research and potentially build or find an appropriate IC (integrated circuit) that can act as an intermediary between the keyboard and your computer. It is also important to carefully consider the pinout and ensure it is compatible with your computer's hardware. I suggest consulting with hardware experts or conducting further research to find a solution that meets your needs. Good luck with your project!

What is a proprietary laptop keyboard?

A proprietary laptop keyboard is a keyboard that is specifically designed for and used only on a particular brand or model of laptop. This means that it cannot be used on other laptops and may have unique features or design elements specific to that brand or model.

How is a proprietary laptop keyboard different from a standard keyboard?

A proprietary laptop keyboard is different from a standard keyboard in several ways. Firstly, it is designed to fit the specific dimensions of a particular laptop, so it may be smaller or have a different layout than a standard keyboard. Additionally, it may have additional buttons or features that are unique to that brand or model of laptop.

Can I replace a proprietary laptop keyboard with a standard one?

In most cases, a proprietary laptop keyboard cannot be replaced with a standard one. This is because the keyboard is designed to fit the specific dimensions and features of the laptop, and a standard keyboard may not be compatible. It is always best to check with the manufacturer before attempting to replace a proprietary laptop keyboard.

Are there any advantages to using a proprietary laptop keyboard?

One advantage of using a proprietary laptop keyboard is that it is specifically designed for that brand or model of laptop, so it may have unique features that enhance the user experience. Additionally, the keyboard is likely to be well-integrated with the laptop's hardware and software, resulting in smoother and more efficient performance.

Are there any disadvantages to using a proprietary laptop keyboard?

One disadvantage of using a proprietary laptop keyboard is that it may be more expensive to replace if it gets damaged or malfunctions. Additionally, since it is designed for a specific laptop, it may not be compatible with other devices, making it less versatile.