Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proprietary Laptop Keyboards

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

I recently parted out an old dell notebook and am left with a nice, tactile, small, flat keyboard. I want to install it on my frankenstein computer, which has a very convenient case mod for this. I've looked around for pinouts and such to get ps2 or usb going, but to no avail. what kind of hardware must I find/build to achieve compatibility? Is it a simple pinout or do I need an IC? Any of you hardware wizards done something like this? any help is greatly appreciated.

-SlidemanD

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2
    Laptop keyboards don't use any standard connections. You'll need to find a way to convert it to USB or PS2. There is software like VNC that will let you use your laptop keyboard to control your desktop, but it will cost $$. And for that $$ you might as well buy one of those super flat apple keyboards.

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    Which model?

5. Sep 15, 2010 #4
    It's an old Dell Latitude, and I'm not even sure if the controller is on the keyboard itself or integrated in the mobo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook