Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proteases and glycosidases

1. Jan 8, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess proteases have a very broad spectrum of substrates while glycosidases are very specific? Is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2004 #2
  4. Jan 9, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are right, but what I was getting at is that lysosomal storage disease are mainly caused by deficiencies in glycosidase enzymes and not proteases. I thought that the reason for that would be that glycosidases work 1 enzyme 1 substrate, while proteases are more generally active. If you are deficient in a proteases, other proteases would still be able to digest the accumulating substrate. I guess?

5. Jan 9, 2004 #4
    Sorry,

I totally misread your question there.:frown:
    I am not familiar with the lysosomal storage disease or glycosidases so much either, but I do know that proteases contain the potential to be quite specific based on the amino acid side chains that are contained within the peptide. Don't know if that helps at all, but hopefully it does.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?