Protection of car from thndrstrom

In summary, during a thunderstorm, it is safer to be inside a metal car because it acts as a Faraday cage, protecting you from the electric field generated by the lightning. The rubber tires also provide some added protection, as the lightning will take the path of least resistance and will not likely travel through the tires. However, it is still possible for the lightning to travel through the air and reach the ground, so it is important to stay inside the car during a thunderstorm. Additionally, the lightning can cause temporary damage to the car's electronics, but this is not permanent.
astro2cosmos
why you are safe inside a metal car during a thunderstrom?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, just don't touch the sides or any exposed metal part.

edit: just noticed you asked why. the lightning is trying to get to the ground and takes the path that offers least resistance, metal conducts. During a thunderstorm yor cars acts a little bit like a faraday cage.

xxChrisxx said:
Yes, just don't touch the sides or any exposed metal part.

edit: just noticed you asked why. the lightning is trying to get to the ground and takes the path that offers least resistance, metal conducts. During a thunderstorm yor cars acts a little bit like a faraday cage.

But what about the elcetric field generated by induced charges on the car?

The electric field is only on the outside. It can't penetrate a conductor.

Hi there,

Firstly, you are safer in a car, because of our good friend Faraday. Your car acts as a Faraday cage. Therefore, eventhough you would touch metal parts, as long as you are from within, you should be safe.

Secondly, your car is mounted on 4 big isolators, commonly called tires. Since thnuder will try to "find" the easiest way, it would not take the isolators as the path to go.

Cheers

Fatra the fact that it had 4 rubber tires makes not a jot of difference.

Air isn't a good conducter and the lightning traveled about a mile through that to get to the ground, the equivilant of an inch of rubber won't make a bit of difference. The rubber tires thing is a bit of an old wives tale, same thing about wearing rubber boots.On a note about the electric field, it does mess up your electronics (not permanently but the dashboard warnings will light up like a chirstmas tree).And a quick search of youtube gives
Demonstration courtesy of Top Gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
xxChrisxx said:
Air isn't a good conducter and the lightning traveled about a mile through that to get to the ground, the equivilant of an inch of rubber won't make a bit of difference.

In fact, lightining can travel as far as twenty miles through the air. One way or another, the lightning which sxtrikes your car will find its way out the bottom of the vehicle to ground. If nothing else, it wil jump the <12" gap between the bottom of the chassis and the ground below; the tires might as well not even be there.

What are the common causes of damage to a car during a thunderstorm?

The most common causes of damage to a car during a thunderstorm include lightning strikes, hail, strong winds, and flooding.

How can I protect my car from lightning strikes during a thunderstorm?

To protect your car from lightning strikes, park it in a garage or under a covered structure. If that is not possible, avoid open areas and tall objects. Stay inside your car and do not touch any metal parts.

What should I do if I am caught driving in a thunderstorm?

If you are caught driving in a thunderstorm, pull over to a safe location and turn off the engine. Avoid touching any metal parts inside the car and wait for the storm to pass.

How can I prevent hail damage to my car during a thunderstorm?

Park your car in a covered area or use a car cover to protect it from hail. If you are driving, try to find shelter or pull over to a safe location and cover the car with blankets or mats.

What precautions should I take to protect my car from strong winds during a thunderstorm?

Park your car in a garage or under a covered structure. If that is not possible, avoid parking near trees or power lines. If you are driving, reduce your speed and avoid areas with debris or fallen trees.