Protein Folding Entropy

In summary, there are different types and models for calculating entropy before and after protein folding, including vibrational, conformational, and configurational entropy. The difference between configurational and conformational entropy in protein folding is that configurational entropy is defined as a sum of conformational and vibrational entropy, but it is not a linear sum. However, it is not necessary to distinguish between the two terms, as they can be used interchangeably. This distinction may have been more important in the past, but it is still relevant for studying the thermodynamics of protein folding.
EFech
TL;DR Summary
What is the difference between CONFIGURATION and CONFORMATIONAL entropy in protein folding?
I have been reading about protein thermodynamics and found different types and models for entropy calculation before and after protein folding. I understand Vibrational, conformational, configurational entropy are some of the most studied "types" of protein folding entropy.

My questions is, What is the difference between Configurational and Conformational entropy in protein folding?

According to Doig & Sternberg (1995) Configurational entropy is defined as:
ΔSconfig=ΔSconf+ΔSvib
Although it is most certainly not a linear sum, I understand from this formulation the configurational entropy as a parameter determined by conformational and vibrational entropy in some way.
Is this conceptualization of configurational entropy still valid, or is it incorrect?

I am grateful for your guidance and knowledge, as I keep getting confused by the use of both terms in the literature.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
This appears to me to be a matter of "splitting hairs on cue balls;" statistical mechanics may have evolved sufficiently since I was in grad school to make such distinctions, but...

Likes jim mcnamara
So I understand there is no real need for distinguishing between both?. If so, we can just talk about a configurational or conformational as synonyms?. I understand it study is still relevant for the thermodynamics of protein, in addition to the kinematic study.

1. What is protein folding entropy?

Protein folding entropy refers to the measure of randomness or disorder in a protein's structure as it folds into its native three-dimensional shape.

2. Why is protein folding entropy important in biology?

Protein folding entropy is crucial for understanding the structure and function of proteins, as well as their role in various biological processes. It also plays a key role in protein stability and disease development.

3. How is protein folding entropy calculated?

Protein folding entropy is calculated by measuring the number of possible ways a protein can fold into its native state. This is influenced by factors such as the number of amino acids, their sequence, and the surrounding environment.

4. What are the consequences of a decrease in protein folding entropy?

A decrease in protein folding entropy can lead to a decrease in protein stability, as well as misfolding and aggregation. This can have serious consequences, such as the development of neurodegenerative diseases.

5. Can protein folding entropy be manipulated?

Yes, protein folding entropy can be manipulated through various methods such as changing the protein's environment, introducing mutations, or using chaperone proteins to assist in the folding process. However, these manipulations can also have unintended consequences and must be carefully studied.