Proton-electron mass ratio; changed? how much?

In summary, the proton-electron mass ratio cannot deviate more than 1:10 to the 37th power in order to support the creation of the universe as we know it. Recent measurements using a Effelsberg 100-m radio telescope have shown that the ratio has changed by only one hundred thousandth of a percent or less over the past 7 billion years, which is equivalent to 10^-7. This value is not as precise as 10^-37 and therefore does not have as significant an impact on the creation of the universe.
tomn44
On the subject of our 'finely turned universe', I have read that the proton-electron mass ratio can not deviate more than 1:1037. In other readings, the allowable deviation was stated as 1% ("If the neutron were very slightly less massive, then it could not decay without energy input. If its mass were lower by 1%, then isolated protons would decay instead of neutrons, and very few atoms heavier than lithium could form."

Scientists using a Effelsberg 100-m radio telescope have determined that the ratio has changed "by only one hundred thousandth of a percent or less over the past 7 billion years"; alternatively, the change is written as 10^-7.

My question is: Is the change in the ratio (one hundred thousandth of a percent, 10^-7) greater or less than 1:1037?

[1:1037 is 1:10 to the 37th power]

Astronomy news on Phys.org
tomn44 said:
On the subject of our 'finely turned universe', I have read that the proton-electron mass ratio can not deviate more than 1:1037.

[1:1037 is 1:10 to the 37th power]

I'm sorry, but that is simply not correct.

Has the maximum deviation of the protron-electron mass ratio been calculated? If so, what is it? Is it something less than 1%?

tomn44 said:
I have read

Where?

that the proton-electron mass ratio can not deviate more than 1:1037.

Do you mean 1037 (one thousand thirty-seven), or 1037 which is a really really really big number, or 10-37 which is a really really really small number?

(Tip: to write exponents correctly, highlight them with the mouse, then click the "x2" icon in the toolbar at the top of the message editor.)

My lack of physics/math background is showing.

The number would have to be small since the article I read was speaking on the subject of a finely tuned universe and how a slight deviation in the ratio would not support the creation of the universe as we know it.

This would seem to be the equation, 1:10-37.

Thanks, jtbell, for the tip.

tomn44 said:
Has the maximum deviation of the protron-electron mass ratio been calculated? If so, what is it? Is it something less than 1%?

It's measured, not calculated. And it's known to half a part per billion - which is precise, but nowhere near as precise as your 10-37. Since it's not known to 10-37, it's hard to argue that it's value matters at the level of 10-37.

If you can still recall where you read it (something I often struggle with) post the specific reference and you will almost certainly get more help understanding what you read.

Related to Proton-electron mass ratio; changed? how much?

1. What is the proton-electron mass ratio?

The proton-electron mass ratio, also known as the atomic mass unit (amu), is the ratio of the mass of a proton to the mass of an electron. It is approximately 1836, meaning that a proton is about 1836 times more massive than an electron.

2. How does the proton-electron mass ratio affect atomic structure?

The proton-electron mass ratio is a critical factor in determining the stability and energy levels of an atom. It affects the strength of the electromagnetic force between the positively charged protons in the nucleus and the negatively charged electrons orbiting around it.

3. Has the proton-electron mass ratio ever changed?

According to current scientific understanding, the proton-electron mass ratio has remained constant throughout the history of the universe. However, some theories suggest that it may have varied in the early stages of the universe's formation.

4. How much can the proton-electron mass ratio vary?

The exact amount of variation in the proton-electron mass ratio is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that it could vary by as much as 1 part in 10^18, while others propose a much smaller variation of about 1 part in 10^24.

5. What are the potential implications of a changed proton-electron mass ratio?

If the proton-electron mass ratio were to change significantly, it could have major consequences for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the stability of matter. It could also have a significant impact on the formation of stars and galaxies and the conditions necessary for life to exist in the universe.