1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a function is continuous at a point (2)

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    As in my previous thread we had:
    "Let f a function which satisfies $$|f(x)|\leq|x| \forall{x\in{\mathbb{R}}}$$

Proof that is continuous at 0.
    We concluded that since f(0)=0 then we found a delta equal epsilon so $$|f(x)|≤|x|<ϵ$$.

But now I have:

$$\textrm{g continuous at 0 and g(0)=0}\Longleftrightarrow{\displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}}{g(x)}=g(0)=0} $$
    $$ \left . \begin{matrix}{g(0)=0}\\{|f(x)|\leq |g(x)|}\end{matrix}\right \} \Longrightarrow{}f(0)=0$$

And I have to prove that f is cont. at 0.

So I have to fid a delta such that:
    $$\forall{\varepsilon>0}\textrm{ } \exists{ \delta>0}: \textrm{if } 0<|x-0|<\delta \Longrightarrow{|f(x)-0|< \varepsilon}$$

And I'm in the same problem as before, right? I just choose δ equal ε . If this is OK then I don't understand why it tells me that g is cont. at 0 because I never used that.

Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider the g defined by
    $$
    g(x)=
    \begin{cases}
    0 &\text{if }x=0\\
    1 &\text{if }x\neq 0
    \end{cases}
    $$ and the f defined by
    $$
    f(x)=
    \begin{cases}
    0 &\text{if }x=0\\
    \frac 1 2 &\text{if }x\neq 0.
    \end{cases}
    $$

4. Mar 24, 2012 #3
    You do use g is cont at 0 by writing
    I. if |x| < delta, then |(g(x) - g(0)| = |g(x)| < epsilon
    Because |f(x)| <= |g(x)|,
    if |x| < delta, then modify I. by substituting |f(x)| for |g(x)| to get
    if |x| < delta, then |f(x)| < epsilon

In this case, delta = delta. In the last case, you substituted in the |x-a| < delta inequality, in this one you substituted in the epsilon's inequality.

5. Mar 26, 2012 #4
    Ahmm... so what I did was right? Thanks

6. Mar 26, 2012 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, because the choice δ=ε doesn't work. To "choose δ=ε" is to say that for all x such that |x|<ε, we have |f(x)|<ε. But how would you know that the latter inequality is implied by the former? You only know that |f(x)|≤|g(x)|. So for the choice δ=ε to work, you need something that proves that for all x such that |x|<ε, we have|g(x)|<ε.

7. Mar 28, 2012 #6
    From ALL what I know (from the hypothesys, including g) I can say that:
    I have to a delta such that this condition is OK:

$$\forall{\varepsilon>0}\textrm{ } \exists{ \delta>0}: \textrm{if } 0<|x-0|<\delta \Longrightarrow{|f(x)-0|< \varepsilon}$$

So if I choose epsilon equal delta:
    $$|x|< \varepsilon$$ and this implies:
    $$|f(x)|< \varepsilon$$

EDIT: Sorry I got confused, I cannot deduce the latter inequality. But now I look at it... as Bearded Man said I have that $$|g(x)|<\varepsilon$$... so that may be useful..

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  8. Mar 28, 2012 #7
    I think I got something, please anybody verify if this is right:

This is what I have to proove:

And I know that g is cont. at 0 so:
    $$\forall{\varepsilon>0}\textrm{ } \exists{ \delta>0}: \textrm{if } 0<|x-0|<\delta \Longrightarrow{|g(x)-0|< \varepsilon}$$
    And
    $$|f(x)|\leq |g(x)|$$

So having that two conditions I can deduce that
    $$|f(x)|<\varepsilon$$ and therefore I can conclude that f is continuous at 0... am I missing sth?

9. Mar 28, 2012 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the right way to do it. Just make sure to mention that the delta that you use for f is the one you got from the stuff you know about g.

10. Mar 28, 2012 #9
    OK, yes, I am supposing that epsilon and delta are the same numbers for g and f. Thank you very much!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook