• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Prove a limit using the mean value theorem

I am supposed to use the mean-value theorem to show that lim_x→infty(√(x+5)-√(x))=0.

Can anyone help me solving this problem?

I have tried to set up the mean value theorem, but i just do not know how to proceed.

Answers and Replies

It is rather obvious even without the mean value theorem. Just multiply and divide by the conjugate.

I also believe that the limit is obvious, but the exercise here is to prove it using the mean value theorem.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The "mean value theorem" says that, for f continuous on [a, b] and differentiable on (a, b), there exist c between a and b such that
[tex]\frac{f(b)- f(a)}{b- a}= f'(c)[/tex].

Take f(x)= x1/2, b= x+5, a= x. Of course, as x goes to infinity, so do both x and x+5 so a number "between them", c, must also go to infinity. What can you say about f'(c) as c goes to infinity?

So, if I write that ((f(b)-f(a))/b-a)=f'(c), and takes the value as you say. I know that f'(x)=1/2sqrt(x). The limit of this when x goes to infinity, is 1 divided by an infinity large number which is 0.

Am I right with my reasoning below: this proves my limit, since lim(f(b)-f(a))=lim(f'(c)*(b-a))=0 since f'(c)=0?