Prove a limit using the mean value theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses using the mean-value theorem to prove that the limit of (√(x+5)-√(x)) as x approaches infinity is 0. The participants suggest different approaches, such as multiplying and dividing by the conjugate and using the mean-value theorem with a specific function. Ultimately, it is concluded that since the derivative of the function approaches 0 as x goes to infinity, the limit of the original expression is also 0.
Charlotte87
I am supposed to use the mean-value theorem to show that lim_x→infty(√(x+5)-√(x))=0.

Can anyone help me solving this problem?

I have tried to set up the mean value theorem, but i just do not know how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is rather obvious even without the mean value theorem. Just multiply and divide by the conjugate.

I also believe that the limit is obvious, but the exercise here is to prove it using the mean value theorem.

The "mean value theorem" says that, for f continuous on [a, b] and differentiable on (a, b), there exist c between a and b such that
[tex]\frac{f(b)- f(a)}{b- a}= f'(c)[/tex].

Take f(x)= x1/2, b= x+5, a= x. Of course, as x goes to infinity, so do both x and x+5 so a number "between them", c, must also go to infinity. What can you say about f'(c) as c goes to infinity?

So, if I write that ((f(b)-f(a))/b-a)=f'(c), and takes the value as you say. I know that f'(x)=1/2sqrt(x). The limit of this when x goes to infinity, is 1 divided by an infinity large number which is 0.

Am I right with my reasoning below: this proves my limit, since lim(f(b)-f(a))=lim(f'(c)*(b-a))=0 since f'(c)=0?

What is the mean value theorem?

The mean value theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists a point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function.

How is the mean value theorem used to prove a limit?

The mean value theorem can be used to prove a limit by showing that the function satisfies the conditions of the theorem and then finding the specific point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the limit being evaluated. This point serves as an intermediate value between the function's value at the endpoints of the interval, thus proving the existence of the limit.

What are the necessary conditions for the mean value theorem to be applicable?

The mean value theorem is applicable only if the function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. Additionally, the function must not have any vertical asymptotes or infinite discontinuities within the interval.

Can the mean value theorem be used to prove limits at infinity?

No, the mean value theorem can only be used to prove limits on closed intervals. To prove limits at infinity, other techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem must be used.

Are there any limitations to using the mean value theorem to prove limits?

Yes, the mean value theorem can only be used to prove limits in situations where the function satisfies its necessary conditions. It cannot be applied to all functions and may not always yield the desired result. Additionally, it only proves the existence of a limit, not its actual value.