1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove a matrix belonging to a group represents a rotation

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove algebraically that a real 2x2 matrix [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] represents a rotaion iff it is in SO2

2. Relevant equations

In case you are used to different notation, SO2= {A[tex]\in[/tex] GLn(R)| AtA=I, Det A=1}

3. The attempt at a solution

ok since this is an iff statement, we have to show both directions.

Case1: if the matrix is in SO2 then it represents a rotation

so we know that [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] * [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&c\\b&d\end{array}\right)[/tex]= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

also ad-bc=1

also if its helpful [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] * [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&c\\b&d\end{array}\right)[/tex]= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a2+b2&ac+bd\\ca+db&b2+d2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

I know i can set this equal to the identity and probably solve for some stuff. but how exactly do i prove that it is a roation? moreover i am completley lost in the other direction.

Edit: maybe i figured it out??!?

Other direction: If [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] is a rotation, then it is in SO2

every rotaion through an angle theta can be written as cos -sin sin cos. just show that its transpose * it =1? and that its det 1? which is basically trivial... so im think i did this second part wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

The change in notation wasn't much help, since there are now two symbols I don't know:
    [tex]SO_2 \; and GL_n(R)[/tex]

The entry in the lower right corner of the matrix above should be c^2 + d^2.
    From your multication of AA^t, you know that a^2 + b^2 = 1, c^2 + d^2 = 1, and ac + bd = 0. A^t * A should also be I, and you get a^2 + c^2 = 1, b^2 + d^2 = 1, and ab + cd = 0.

Let's look at Av, where v = (x, y)
    Av = (ax + by, cx + dy)
    Now, let's calculate the magnitude of Av
    [tex]|Av|^2 = |(ax + by, cx + dy)|^2
    = (ax + by)^2 + (cx + dy)^2[/tex]
    [tex]= a^2 x^2 + 2abxy + b^2y^2 + c^2x^2 + 2cdxy + d^2y^2[/tex]
    [tex]= (a^2 + c^2)x^2 + (b^2 + d^2)y^2 + 2(ab + cd)xy[/tex]
    [tex]= x^2 + y^2
    = |v|[/tex]
    The simplification down to x^2 + y^2 occurs because of what we know about A^t * A = I.
    Now, since |Av| = |v|, multiplication by A doesn't change the length of v, so maybe we can conclude that it constitutes a rotation of some sort.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?