Prove a matrix belonging to a group represents a rotation

In summary: But which sort of rotation?Assuming that we have a rotation matrix, it should rotate the vector (1, 0) into (cos(theta), sin(theta)) and the vector (0, 1) into (-sin(theta), cos(theta)). So, we need to determine what value of theta will rotate (1, 0) into (a, c).we know a^2 + c^2 = 1 and ac + bd = 0a^2 + c^2 = (a^2 + b^2) + (c^2 + d^2) and ac + bd = (a^2 + c^2) - (b^2 + d^2) so
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

Prove algebraically that a real 2x2 matrix [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] represents a rotaion iff it is in SO2

Homework Equations

In case you are used to different notation, SO2= {A[tex]\in[/tex] GLn(R)| AtA=I, Det A=1}

The Attempt at a Solution

ok since this is an iff statement, we have to show both directions.

Case1: if the matrix is in SO2 then it represents a rotation

so we know that [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] * [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&c\\b&d\end{array}\right)[/tex]= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

also ad-bc=1

also if its helpful [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] * [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&c\\b&d\end{array}\right)[/tex]= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a2+b2&ac+bd\\ca+db&b2+d2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

I know i can set this equal to the identity and probably solve for some stuff. but how exactly do i prove that it is a roation? moreover i am completley lost in the other direction.

Edit: maybe i figured it out??!?

Other direction: If [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] is a rotation, then it is in SO2

every rotaion through an angle theta can be written as cos -sin sin cos. just show that its transpose * it =1? and that its det 1? which is basically trivial... so I am think i did this second part wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE said:

Homework Statement

Prove algebraically that a real 2x2 matrix [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] represents a rotaion iff it is in SO2

Homework Equations

In case you are used to different notation, SO2= {A[tex]\in[/tex] GLn(R)| AtA=I, Det A=1}
The change in notation wasn't much help, since there are now two symbols I don't know:
[tex]SO_2 \; and GL_n(R)[/tex]

SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE said:

The Attempt at a Solution

ok since this is an iff statement, we have to show both directions.

Case1: if the matrix is in SO2 then it represents a rotation

so we know that [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] * [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&c\\b&d\end{array}\right)[/tex]= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

also ad-bc=1

also if its helpful [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] * [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&c\\b&d\end{array}\right)[/tex]= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a2+b2&ac+bd\\ca+db&b2+d2\end{array}\right)[/tex]
The entry in the lower right corner of the matrix above should be c^2 + d^2.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE said:
I know i can set this equal to the identity and probably solve for some stuff. but how exactly do i prove that it is a roation? moreover i am completley lost in the other direction.

Edit: maybe i figured it out??!?

Other direction: If [tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right)[/tex] is a rotation, then it is in SO2

every rotaion through an angle theta can be written as cos -sin sin cos. just show that its transpose * it =1? and that its det 1? which is basically trivial... so I am think i did this second part wrong.

From your multication of AA^t, you know that a^2 + b^2 = 1, c^2 + d^2 = 1, and ac + bd = 0. A^t * A should also be I, and you get a^2 + c^2 = 1, b^2 + d^2 = 1, and ab + cd = 0.

Let's look at Av, where v = (x, y)
Av = (ax + by, cx + dy)
Now, let's calculate the magnitude of Av
[tex]|Av|^2 = |(ax + by, cx + dy)|^2
= (ax + by)^2 + (cx + dy)^2[/tex]
[tex]= a^2 x^2 + 2abxy + b^2y^2 + c^2x^2 + 2cdxy + d^2y^2[/tex]
[tex]= (a^2 + c^2)x^2 + (b^2 + d^2)y^2 + 2(ab + cd)xy[/tex]
[tex]= x^2 + y^2
= |v|[/tex]
The simplification down to x^2 + y^2 occurs because of what we know about A^t * A = I.
Now, since |Av| = |v|, multiplication by A doesn't change the length of v, so maybe we can conclude that it constitutes a rotation of some sort.

1. How do you determine if a matrix belongs to a group?

A matrix belongs to a group if it satisfies the four axioms of group theory: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. This means that when the matrix is multiplied with another matrix in the group, the resulting matrix is also in the group, the order of multiplication does not matter, there exists an identity matrix in the group, and every matrix in the group has an inverse in the group.

2. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a square matrix that represents a rotation in a certain number of dimensions. In 2D, it is a 2x2 matrix, and in 3D, it is a 3x3 matrix. It is used to describe how a point or object is rotated around a fixed point.

3. How can you tell if a matrix represents a rotation?

A matrix represents a rotation if it has a determinant of 1 and its inverse is equal to its transpose. This means that the matrix has no scaling or shearing effects and only rotates the points or objects in the coordinate system.

4. What are the properties of rotation matrices?

Rotation matrices are orthogonal, meaning their columns and rows are orthogonal to each other. They also have a determinant of 1, as mentioned before, and their eigenvalues are complex numbers that have a magnitude of 1, indicating a rotation in the complex plane.

5. How do you prove that a matrix belongs to a specific group of rotations?

To prove that a matrix belongs to a specific group of rotations, you must show that it satisfies the four axioms of group theory mentioned earlier. You can also show that it has a determinant of 1 and its inverse is equal to its transpose, as well as demonstrating its properties as a rotation matrix. Additionally, you can compare it to known rotation matrices in the group to confirm its membership.