1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove continuity of sqrt(x) on (0,infinity)

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a problem from my Analysis exam review sheet.

Let L(x) = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]. Prove L is continuous on E = (0,[itex]\infty[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution

The way we've been doing these proofs all semester is to let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] be given, then assume [itex]\left| x -x_{0} \right| < \delta[/itex] (which we figure out later) and [itex] x_{0} \in E [/itex]

Then look at.
    [itex]\left| L(x) - L(x_{0}) \right| = \left| \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{x_{0}}\right|[/itex]
    and try to get a [itex]\left( x -x_{0} \right)[/itex] term which we can control, so that we can figure out a [itex]\delta[/itex] which will allow us to get the entire thing less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. So essentially I understand how to do the proof. My algebra skills are just really rusty and I can't figure out the long division or whatever I need to do to get a [itex]\left( x -x_{0} \right)[/itex] term out of that.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One trick is to abuse inverse functions whose continuity you can deal with

If you let [itex] y^2=x[/itex] and [itex] y_0^2 = x_0[/itex] then
    [tex] |x-x_0| = |y^2-y_0^2| = |y_0-y||y_0+y|<\delta[/tex]

Now you want to show that [itex] |y-y_0|<\epsilon[/itex] if delta is small enough

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the quick response, I think I see where to go from here, but just to make sure.
    Let [itex]\delta = \epsilon^{2}[/itex]
    We know [itex]\left| y + y_{0} \right| > \left| y - y_{0} \right|[/itex] since [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]y_{0}[/itex] are positive.
    and since [itex]\left| y + y_{0} \right| \left| y - y_{0} \right| < \delta = \epsilon^{2}[/itex]
    We can see that [itex]\left| y - y_{0} \right| < \sqrt{\delta} = \epsilon[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook