Prove: Divisibility & Sums of Distinct Natural Numbers

In summary: Therefore, in summary, if $p_{1},\dots,p_{r}$ divide $a_{1}+\dots+a_{n}$, then there exists an integer $k>1$ and a prime $p\neq p_{i}$ for all $i=1,\dots,r$ such that $p$ divides $a_{1}^{k}+\dots+a_{n}^{k}$. This concludes the proof.
Bibubo
Let $a_{1},\dots,a_{n},\,n>2$ distinct natural numbers. Prove that if $p_{1},\dots,p_{r}$ are prime numbers and they divide $a_{1}+\dots+a_{n}$ then exists an integer $k>1$ and a prime $p\neq p_{i},\,\forall i=1,\dots,r$ such that $p\mid a_{1}^{k}+\dots+a_{n}^{k}.$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello! I would like to provide a proof for this statement.

First, let us assume that $p_{1},\dots,p_{r}$ are distinct prime divisors of $a_{1}+\dots+a_{n}$. This means that $a_{1}+\dots+a_{n}$ is divisible by the product of these primes, denoted as $P=p_{1}\dots p_{r}$.

Now, let us consider the numbers $b_{i}=a_{i}\pmod{P}$ for $i=1,\dots,n$. Since $P$ is the product of the prime divisors of $a_{1}+\dots+a_{n}$, it follows that $b_{1}+\dots+b_{n}\equiv 0 \pmod{P}$.

Next, we can use Fermat's Little Theorem to show that for any integer $k$, $b_{i}^{k}\equiv a_{i}^{k} \pmod{P}$ for $i=1,\dots,n$. This is because $P$ is relatively prime to $b_{i}$, and thus we can apply Fermat's Little Theorem.

Now, let us consider the sum $b_{1}^{k}+\dots+b_{n}^{k}$. Since $b_{1}+\dots+b_{n}\equiv 0 \pmod{P}$, it follows that $b_{1}^{k}+\dots+b_{n}^{k}\equiv 0 \pmod{P}$. This means that $b_{1}^{k}+\dots+b_{n}^{k}$ is divisible by $P$, and thus it is also divisible by the product of the prime divisors $p_{1},\dots,p_{r}$.

However, since $b_{i}^{k}\equiv a_{i}^{k} \pmod{P}$ for $i=1,\dots,n$, it follows that $a_{1}^{k}+\dots+a_{n}^{k}$ is also divisible by $p_{1},\dots,p_{r}$.

Finally, we can let $p$ be any prime divisor of $a_{1}^{k}+\dots+a_{n}^{k}$ that is not equal to $p_{i}$ for any $i=1,\dots,r$. Such

1. How do you prove that a number is divisible by another number?

To prove that a number is divisible by another number, we can use the division algorithm which states that for any two integers, a and b, where b is not equal to 0, there exists unique integers q and r such that a = bq + r, where 0 <= r < b. If r is equal to 0, then a is divisible by b.

2. What is the theorem for proving the divisibility of a sum of two numbers?

The theorem for proving the divisibility of a sum of two numbers is known as the divisibility test for a sum. It states that if a number is divisible by both x and y, then it is also divisible by their sum (x + y).

3. Can you provide an example of proving the divisibility of a sum of distinct natural numbers?

Yes, for example, let's prove that 15 is divisible by 3 and 5. We know that 15 is divisible by 3 because the sum of its digits (1 + 5 = 6) is also divisible by 3. Similarly, 15 is divisible by 5 because its last digit is 5. Therefore, since 15 is divisible by both 3 and 5, it is also divisible by their sum (3 + 5 = 8).

4. How can we prove that the sum of distinct natural numbers is always divisible by the number of addends?

We can prove this using mathematical induction. First, we can show that the statement is true for n = 2. For example, if we have two distinct natural numbers, a and b, their sum (a + b) is divisible by 2. Next, we can assume that the statement is true for n = k, and then prove that it is also true for n = k+1. Therefore, by the principle of mathematical induction, we can conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

5. How can we use the concept of divisibility to simplify calculations?

We can use divisibility rules to simplify calculations. For example, instead of dividing a number by 2, we can simply check if its last digit is even. Similarly, instead of dividing a number by 5, we can check if its last digit is 0 or 5. These rules can save time and make calculations easier.