GCD of Two Specified Sequences of Numbers: Conditions for Equality

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation revolved around finding conditions under which the greatest common divisors (gcd) of two sequences of numbers, $A$ and $B$, are equal or at least one. The speaker proposed five particular solutions and asked for help in finding more. The responder provided five additional conditions and suggested exploring the possibility of proving these conditions as the only solutions. The conversation ended with the responder expressing interest in further discussions on the topic.
Vitaly1
I consider two sequences of numbers $A=\{a_1,...,a_n\}$ and $B=\{k-a_1,...,k-a_n\}$, where $a_1 \le a_2 \le ... \le a_n \le k$.

I am looking for such conditions under which: $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n)=1$.
In more general form: $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) \ge 1$.

I found only five particular solutions.

1. If there is such a number $\exists a_s \in A: k-a_t=a_s$, where $a_t \in A$ then $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n)$.

2. Let $gcd(a_1,...,a_n)=e$ and $gcd(a_n-a_1,...,a_2-a_1)=E$. If $e=E$ and $e|k$, then $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n)$.

3. Let $P=p_1 \cdot ... \cdot p_n$ denotes the primorial equaling the product of the first $n$ prime numbers and $p_i$ is the $i^{th}$ prime number. Let $a_i=\frac{P}{p_i}$ and $k=P$, then $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) = 1$.

4. Let $gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) = 1$ and $a_i|k, \forall a_i \in A$, then $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = 1$.

5. Let $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = 1$ and $k = a_n + 1$, then $gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) = 1$.

I am convinced that there are other solutions, but I can not find them yet.
I will be grateful for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your findings and asking for help in finding other solutions. I am always interested in exploring and discovering new patterns and solutions.

After analyzing your proposed solutions, I have found a few more conditions under which $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) \ge 1$.

6. If $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = 1$ and $gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) = d$, where $d$ is a divisor of $k$, then $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) = d$.

7. Let $m$ be the smallest number in the set $A$, then $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) = gcd(m,k)$.

8. If $a_n = k$, then $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) = 1$.

9. Let $p$ be a prime number such that $p|k$ and $p$ does not divide any of the numbers in set $A$, then $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n) = 1$.

10. If $a_i = a_j$ for some $i \neq j$, then $gcd(a_1,...,a_n) = gcd(k-a_1,...,k-a_n)$.

I hope these additional conditions will be helpful in your search for solutions. However, I would also like to mention that finding all possible solutions to this problem may be a challenging task, as there are infinite combinations of numbers that can satisfy the given conditions.

Perhaps, instead of looking for specific conditions, we can try to prove that these conditions are the only ones that satisfy the given equation. This would require a deeper understanding of number theory and the properties of greatest common divisors.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and I am looking forward to any further discussions on this topic.

1. What is the GCD of two sequences of numbers?

The GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) of two sequences of numbers is the largest number that can evenly divide both sequences without leaving a remainder.

2. How is the GCD calculated?

The GCD can be calculated using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number until the remainder is 0. The last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

3. What are the conditions for equality in finding the GCD of two sequences of numbers?

The GCD of two sequences of numbers is equal to the smaller number if it is a factor of the larger number, or equal to the GCD of the smaller number and the remainder when the larger number is divided by the smaller number.

4. Can the GCD of two sequences of numbers be 0?

Yes, if both sequences of numbers are 0, then the GCD is also 0. Otherwise, the GCD cannot be 0 since all numbers are divisible by 1.

5. How is the GCD used in mathematics?

The GCD is used in various mathematical concepts, such as simplifying fractions, finding the lowest common denominator, and solving equations involving rational numbers. It is also used in algorithms for efficient computation and in cryptography for data encryption.