Prove F is a field where F maps to itself

  • Thread starter Thread starter shabbado
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
shabbado
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hello, I am not exactly sure how to go about proving a a Field with given properties is a field.
Any help would be appreciated. At least a push in the right direction/

Homework Statement


http://www.upload.mn/view/q77nuboss6set86gbhfs.jpg


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably by showing it satisfies the field axioms...

it's tough to be more specific without knowing what properties you're talking about
 
First you say F "maps to itself" which makes no sense. Then you say "prove that a field is a field"!

In fact, the problem you posted says neither of those. It says:

If [itex]\phi[/itex] is an isomorphism from a field F to itself, and [itex]F_\phi[/itex] is defined as {x| [itex]\phi(x)= x[/itex]}, in other words, the set of all member of F that [itex]\phi[/itex] does not change, prove that [itex]F_\phi[/itex] is a field.

Office Shredder told you how to do that: what are the "axioms" or requirements for a field?
 
Obviously I did not understand the problem in its entirety . I believe I understand it now, and thanks to your assistance.