Prove function is a homomorphism

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathjam0990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a map φ : G → G, defined by φ(x) = gxg^−1, is an isomorphism. The speaker is asking for help with proving the homomorphism part, and the expert responds by explaining how to use the fact that $x^{-1}x = e$ to show that φ is indeed a homomorphism.
mathjam0990
Let G be a group. Fix g ∈ G. Define a map φ : G → G by φ(x) = gxg^−1

Prove: φ is an isomorphism

What I Know: I already showed it is bijective. Now, I need help proving the homomorphism part. I know by definition for all a,b in G, f(ab)=f(a)f(b)

Question: How do I show this? For some reason I am getting confused and I don't think it's that difficult but I can't grasp it.

What I Have Done:
Let a=gag^-1 and b=gbg^-1. Then f(ab)=f(gag^-1 * gbg^-1) Is this even correct or did I start off totally wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathjam0990,

The trick here is to use the fact that for all $x\in G$, $x^{-1}x = e$. Let $a,b\in G$. Then

$$\varphi(a)\varphi(b) = (gag^{-1})(gbg^{-1}) = ga(g^{-1}g)bg^{-1} = gaebg^{-1} = gabg^{-1} = \varphi(ab).$$

Therefore, $\varphi$ is a homomorphism.

Euge, thank you so much! I never would have guessed that. Much appreciated!

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure and operations of a given mathematical system. This means that the function maps elements from one set to another in a way that maintains the relationships between those elements.

2. How do you prove that a function is a homomorphism?

To prove that a function is a homomorphism, you must show that it satisfies the definition of a homomorphism. This involves demonstrating that the function preserves the operations and structure of the mathematical system it is acting on.

3. What are the key properties of a homomorphism?

The key properties of a homomorphism are preservation of operations, preservation of identity elements, and preservation of inverses. This means that the function must preserve the operations of the mathematical system, map identity elements to identity elements, and map inverses to inverses.

4. How does a homomorphism differ from an isomorphism?

A homomorphism preserves the structure and operations of a mathematical system, while an isomorphism also preserves the bijective relationship between elements. This means that every isomorphism is also a homomorphism, but not every homomorphism is an isomorphism.

5. What are some examples of homomorphisms in different mathematical systems?

Some examples of homomorphisms include addition and multiplication in the real numbers, matrix multiplication in linear algebra, and modular arithmetic in number theory. These functions all preserve the operations and structure of the given mathematical system.