1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove intersection of convex cones is convex.

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. Let A and B be convex cones in a real vector space V. Show that A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]B and A + B are also convex cones.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First state the definition of a convex cone, and then try to prove it. People will help if you show some effort first.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    well set C is a convex cone if for any x,y [itex]\in[/itex] C and any scalars a≥0, b≥0, ax + by [itex]\in[/itex] C

so let A and B be convex cones.
    A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]B would contain all elements x [itex]\in[/itex] both A and B.
    This is where I am having trouble.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4
    other properties of convex cones:

1. for any positive scalar α and any x [itex]\in[/itex] C, the vector αx = (α/2)x + (α/2)x is in C.

2. set C is a convex cone if and only if αC = C and C + C = C.

perhaps my trouble is coming from the fact that I do not fully understand how these properties work.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm having problems trying to follow your problem here. If x and y are in A then ax+by is in A, right? If x and y are in B then ax+by is in B, also right? If x and y are in AnB then they are in BOTH A and B. Doesn't that make ax+by in BOTH A and B? Hence an element of AnB???

7. Apr 15, 2013 #6
    Hello. I dont want to create a new topic. I have very similar question about convex cone. I know what intersection and sum of two convex cones are also convex cone. But whats about union. The answer is that union of two convex cones may not be convex cone. But I cant understand why? Any thoughts? Thanks

8. Apr 15, 2013 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you find a counterexample??

Take two cones in real life, is their union a cone?

9. Apr 15, 2013 #8
    OK. Thanks. But if one cone is subset of other then answer would be yes? Im right?

10. Apr 15, 2013 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted