Prove Max/Min of f(x) -> Sqrt of f(x) at x0

So \sqrt{f(x_0)} is a maximum for \sqrt{f}.In summary, if f(x) is greater than or equal to 0 on an interval I and has a maximum value at x0 on I, then sqrt(f(x)) also has a maximum value at x0. This can be proven using the fact that sqrt(x) is an increasing function on the interval [0, +infinity]. Similarly, this applies to minimum values as well.
minia2353

Homework Statement

prove: if f(x) bigger or the same as 0 on an interval I and if f(x) has a maximum value on I at x0(0 is written small beside the x), then sqrt of f(x) also has a maxsimum value at x0. Similarily for minimum values. Hint: Use the fact that sqrt of x is an increasing function on the interval zero to plus infinity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks pretty direct to me. If [itex]f(x_0)[/itex] is a maximum for f, then [itex]f(y)\le f(x_0)[/itex] for all y.Since square root is an increasing function, [itex]\sqrt{f(y)}\le \sqrt{f(x_0)}[/itex].

Related to Prove Max/Min of f(x) -> Sqrt of f(x) at x0

1. What does it mean to prove the max/min of a function?

Proving the max/min of a function involves finding the highest or lowest value that the function can reach on a given domain. This can be done by finding the critical points of the function and evaluating them to determine which one gives the maximum or minimum value.

2. How is the max/min of a function related to the square root of the function?

In the context of proving the max/min of a function, the square root of the function is important because it can help identify the critical points. The square root of a function is equal to 0 when the function itself is equal to 0, so this can help determine the x-values that need to be evaluated.

3. What is the significance of x0 in proving the max/min of a function?

x0 represents the critical point of the function, where the derivative of the function is equal to 0. This point is important in finding the maximum or minimum value of the function because it indicates where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

4. How do you prove the max/min of a function using the square root method?

The square root method involves taking the derivative of the function, setting it equal to 0, and solving for x. This will give the critical points of the function. Then, evaluate the function at these points to determine which one gives the maximum or minimum value.

5. Can the max/min of a function be proven without using the square root method?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove the max/min of a function, such as the first or second derivative test. These methods involve finding the critical points and evaluating the function at those points to determine if it is a maximum or minimum value.