Prove (n)^(1/n) < 1 + sqrt(2/n) for all positive n.

• Thread starter PiAreSquared
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positive
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the inequality (n)^(1/n) < 1 + sqrt(2/n) for all positive n using induction. It is suggested to first take the whole inequality in the power of n and prove that n < (1 + sqrt(2/n))^n using another mini induction. The conversation also explores a related inequality and discusses different approaches to proving it.
PiAreSquared

Homework Statement

Prove:

(n)^(1/n) < 1 + sqrt(2/n) for all positive n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using induction, base case is easy enough to prove, however proving it holds for n+1 is where I am hitting a wall. So the problem is reduced to proving:

(n+1)^(1/(n+1)) < 1 + sqrt(2/(n+1)) for positive n.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,
it's pretty hard to deal with powers of 1/n, which is why you should first take the whole inequality in the power of n. Prove that for any n: [itex] n < (1 + \sqrt{\frac{2}{n}})^n [/itex]

Try to then work with it and see if you can make it. It takes a few steps, but it works. In the process I used another mini induction one has to prove (and can do so very easily).

If you prove this, then by taking the n'th root of this inequality and claiming that the arguments inside are all bigger the one, and therefore the inequality remains "<", you get the original one.

Last edited:
I have a question based on this. Is it true that n^(1/n) - 1 <= sqrt(2/(n-1))? How do you show this?

And what is the mini induction you have to prove?

Last edited:
BrownianMan said:
I have a question based on this. Is it true that n^(1/n) - 1 <= sqrt(2/(n-1))? How do you show this?
Your inequality is equivalent to
$$n \leq \left(1 + \sqrt{\frac{2}{n-1}}\right)^n$$
Try expanding the right hand side using the binomial theorem. Assuming ##n \geq 2##, the first few terms are
$$\left(1 + \sqrt{\frac{2}{n-1}}\right)^n = 1 + \binom{n}{1} \sqrt{\frac{2}{n-1}} + \binom{n}{2} \frac{2}{n-1} + \cdots$$
What can you conclude?

I though of another way. Induction. Base case is easy. To prove for n=k+1, we have

k+1 <= (1+ sqrt(2/k))^(k+1)

We have (1+ sqrt(2/k))^k*(1+ sqrt(2/k)) =(1+ sqrt(2/k))^(k+1)

Then I can say that (1+ sqrt(2/k))^k <=(1+ sqrt(2/k))^k*(1+ sqrt(2/k)) and since

k+1 <= (1+ sqrt(2/k))^k

by induction, the inequality holds.

What is the purpose of proving (n)^(1/n) < 1 + sqrt(2/n) for all positive n?

The purpose of this proof is to show that the given inequality holds true for all positive values of n. This can help in solving various mathematical problems and equations that involve this inequality.

What is the significance of (n)^(1/n) and 1 + sqrt(2/n) in this inequality?

These expressions represent the two sides of the inequality and are important in understanding the relationship between them. (n)^(1/n) is the geometric mean of n, while 1 + sqrt(2/n) is the arithmetic mean of 1 and sqrt(2/n).

How can we prove this inequality for all positive n?

The most commonly used method for proving inequalities is mathematical induction. This involves proving that the inequality holds true for a base case (usually n = 1 or n = 2) and then showing that if it holds true for some value of n, it also holds true for n+1.

Can we use any other methods to prove this inequality?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the properties of logarithms, properties of exponents, and algebraic manipulation. However, mathematical induction is the most commonly used method for proving this type of inequality.

Are there any exceptions to this inequality?

No, this inequality holds true for all positive values of n. However, it may not hold true for negative values of n or 0. Therefore, it is important to specify that the inequality is only valid for positive values of n.