1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove not integrable. Is this correct?

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    Let f:[0,1] be defined as f(x)= 0 for x rational, f(x)=x for x irrational

Show f is not integrable

m=inf(f(x) on [Xi-1, Xi])
    M=sup(f(x) on [Xi-1, Xi])

Okay so my argument goes like this:
    I need to show that the Upper integral of f does not equal the lower integral of f

Because rationals and irrationals are dense in R for any interval [a,b] of f,

m=0
    M=x

therefore, for the partition X0=0, X1=1 the Lower Darboux sum = 0 and the Upper Darboux sum = x

therefore the sup{Lower Darboux sum}=0
    and the inf{Upper Darboux sum} is not equal to 0, (it is the smallest irrational number greater than 0 technically right? although there is no smallest irrational greater than 0, right?)

therefore the Upper integral of f does not equal the lower integral of f

and therefore f is not integrable.

I think this is right, but I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For your upper sum you said that M on an interval has to be greater than the smallest irrational inside the interval. When you break up [0,1] into tiny pieces you're essentially integrating the function x, so you expect to get as an upper sum 1/2

All you have to prove is that the upper sum can't give you 0; saying it has to be larger than the smallest irrational number greater than 0 is not good enough (since as yo usaid there is no such number, so that has no meaning)

4. Jul 4, 2010 #3
    Well, what I was trying to say was that the upper sum cannot equal 0 because for any interval [a,b] M will not be 0 because there is always an irrational greater than 0 no matter how small the partition [Xo, X1] gets. Because M will never be 0 the inf of the Upper Darboux Sums will never be 0 and thus the upper integral will never equal the lower integral, even though I haven't defined what the upper actually is...

I wasn't trying to say anything the smallest irrational number greater than 0, just that it couldn't be equal to 0 because there would always be an irrational greater than 0 making M on that interval greater than 0.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook