Prove Open Set: S = {(x,y) in $\mathbb{R}^2$ | xy > 1}

• Thread starter mateomy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Set
In summary, this person is trying to solve a problem where they don't know where to start, and is asking for help. They've read a lot on the subject and have a good understanding of the definitions, but they don't know how to proof something for themselves. They've done some substitutions and traced the shortest distance between a point and the boundary of the set, but they're not sure if they're on the right track. Thanks for the help!
mateomy
[tex]
Let\,S=\,\{(x,y)\,\in\,\mathbb{R}^2\,|\,xy\,>\,1\}
[/tex]
Show S is open.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on to get a handle on these sort of proofs. I think I have the definitions of everything down solid but my problem seems to be proving things for myself as I think is true for almost everyone who is first confronted with this stuff. This is what I've done so far...

Let xy be defined as a point q. We define a point z [itex]\in[/itex] D(w,r), where [itex]r=\frac{1}{2}d(w,q)[/itex].
Further;
d(w,q) [itex]\leq[/itex] d(q,z) + d(z,w).
Hence, d(q,z) [itex]\geq[/itex] d(w,q) - d(z,w)

I don't know where to move from here. I'm not even sure if I'm on the right track. I know I can substitute d(w,q) as 2r but I don't know if that will help me at all. Also (for clarification) 'D(w,r)' is my 'ball' in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] centered at 'w' with a radius 'r'.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
mateomy said:
[tex]
Let\,S=\,\{(x,y)\,\in\,\mathbb{R}^2\,|\,xy\,>\,1\}
[/tex]
Show S is open.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on to get a handle on these sort of proofs. I think I have the definitions of everything down solid but my problem seems to be proving things for myself as I think is true for almost everyone who is first confronted with this stuff. This is what I've done so far...

Let xy be defined as a point q. We define a point z [itex]\in[/itex] D(w,r), where [itex]r=\frac{1}{2}d(w,q)[/itex].
Further;
d(w,q) [itex]\leq[/itex] d(q,z) + d(z,w).
Hence, d(q,z) [itex]\geq[/itex] d(w,q) - d(z,w)

I don't know where to move from here. I'm not even sure if I'm on the right track. I know I can substitute d(w,q) as 2r but I don't know if that will help me at all. Also (for clarification) 'D(w,r)' is my 'ball' in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] centered at 'w' with a radius 'r'.

Thanks for the help.
What's the definition of an open set?

Informally...an open set is any set whose boundary points are not included within that set. Also, if a point within the set was to have an epsilon 'ball' draw around it of an arbitrary radius any point within that ball would also be located within the set.

The first thing you should do is draw the set. What is the boundary of that set? Then let (x, y) be a point in the set and show that is it NOT in that boundary. Use your picture to decide what is the shortest distance from (x, y) to the boundary.

mateomy, "an open set is any set whose boundary points are not included within that set" is not necessarily "informal". Some textbooks use that as the definition of "open sets" (in a metric space, of course) after defining a boundary point, p, of set A to be a point such that every ball centered on p contains some points in A and some points not in A.

mateomy said:
Informally...an open set is any set whose boundary points are not included within that set. Also, if a point within the set was to have an epsilon 'ball' draw around it of an arbitrary radius any point within that ball would also be located within the set.

This isn't the most beginner friendly definition to go by.
HallsofIvy's definition is much nicer, it gives you a better idea of an open set as a set where you've always got a little freedom to move about.

I've drawn a diagram, that's how I arrived at my triangle inequality. I was thinking about doing something along these lines:

[tex]
r\,=\,\frac{1}{2}d(w,q)
[/tex]

So we can rewrite that as 2r, and because we know that d(w,z) is less than our 'ball' radius we can rewrite the entire inequality as

[tex]
d(q,z)\,\geq\,d(w,q)\,-\,d(z,w)\,>\,2r\,-\,r
[/tex]

And since we know the r is never zero d(q,z) will always be greater than zero and hence, our 'ball' will always remain within the set.

Does that work? (I'd clean it up a little obviouslly)

Thanks again, everyone.

Related to Prove Open Set: S = {(x,y) in $\mathbb{R}^2$ | xy > 1}

What does "Prove Open Set" mean in this context?

"Prove Open Set" means to demonstrate that the set S, which is defined as all points (x,y) in the real plane whose product xy is greater than 1, is an open set. This means that for any point in S, there exists a small neighborhood around that point that is entirely contained within S.

How do you prove that a set is open?

To prove that a set is open, we must show that for any point (x,y) in the set, there exists some small radius r such that all points within that radius are also in the set. In other words, we must show that every point in the set has an open ball neighborhood contained within the set.

What is an open ball neighborhood?

An open ball neighborhood is a set of points that are all within a certain distance (radius) from a given point. In this case, we are working in the real plane, so the open ball neighborhood would be a circular region around the point (x,y) with a radius r.

Why is this proof important in mathematics?

This proof is important because it helps us understand the properties of open sets and their role in topology and analysis. It also allows us to make precise statements about the behavior of functions and sets in the real plane.

How can this proof be applied in real-world situations?

This proof can be applied in real-world situations involving continuous functions and their behavior on open sets. For example, it can be used to analyze the continuity of a real-world function or to prove the existence of certain types of solutions to equations involving open sets.