Prove that a differential function is bounded by 1/2

In summary, the problem asks to show that a function with a continuous derivative on ##0\leq x<\infty## and satisfying ##\phi'(x)+2\phi(x)\leq 1## for all such ##x## and ##\phi(0)=0## is always less than ##\frac{1}{2}## for ##x\geq 0##. The attempt at a solution involves using an integrating factor and integrating from ##0## to ##x##, which leads to the final conclusion that ##\phi(x)\leq \frac{1}{2}##.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Suppose ##\phi(x)## is a function with a continuous derivative on ##0\leq x<\infty## such that ##\phi'(x)+2\phi(x)\leq 1## for all such ##x## and ##\phi(0)=0##. Show that ##\phi(x)<\frac{1}{2}## for ##x\geq 0##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this like I would any other first order differential equation.
$$
\phi'(x)+2\phi(x)\leq 1\Leftrightarrow e^{2x}(\phi'(x)+2\phi(x))\leq e^{2x}\Leftrightarrow e^{2x}\phi(x)\leq e^{2x}
$$
so
$$
\phi(x)\leq e^{-2x}\int\limits_{x_{0}}^{x}e^{2t}dt + ce^{-2x}=\frac{1}{2}+ce^{-2x}
$$
but that was as far as I could get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadOriginal said:

Homework Statement

Suppose ##\phi(x)## is a function with a continuous derivative on ##0\leq x<\infty## such that ##\phi'(x)+2\phi(x)\leq 1## for all such ##x## and ##\phi(0)=0##. Show that ##\phi(x)<\frac{1}{2}## for ##x\geq 0##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this like I would any other first order differential equation.
$$
\phi'(x)+2\phi(x)\leq 1\Leftrightarrow e^{2x}(\phi'(x)+2\phi(x))\leq e^{2x}\Leftrightarrow e^{2x}\phi(x)\leq e^{2x}
$$
so
$$
\phi(x)\leq e^{-2x}\int\limits_{x_{0}}^{x}e^{2t}dt + ce^{-2x}=\frac{1}{2}+ce^{-2x}
$$
but that was as far as I could get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You almost have it. After you multiply by your integrating factor you have$$
(e^{2x}\phi(x))'\le e^{2x}$$Instead of doing an indefinite integral, integrate this from ##0## to ##x##:$$
\int_0^x(e^{2t}\phi(t))'~dt\le \int_0^x e^{2t}~dt$$and see what happens.

Ahh! I see it! Thanks!

1. What does it mean for a differential function to be bounded?

When a differential function is bounded, it means that there is a specific value or range of values that the function cannot exceed. In other words, the function is limited or constrained in its output.

2. How do you prove that a differential function is bounded by 1/2?

To prove that a differential function is bounded by 1/2, you would need to show that for any input value, the output of the function will always be less than or equal to 1/2. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as the Mean Value Theorem or the Intermediate Value Theorem.

3. Why is it important to prove that a differential function is bounded?

Proving that a differential function is bounded can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function. It can also help in making predictions about the function's output and can be used to ensure the accuracy and stability of mathematical models and simulations.

4. Can a differential function be bounded by a value other than 1/2?

Yes, a differential function can be bounded by any value. The value 1/2 is often used as an example because it is a common threshold in many mathematical models and has a clear interpretation in terms of fractions and percentages.

5. Are there any real-life applications of proving a differential function is bounded by 1/2?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of proving that a differential function is bounded by 1/2. For example, in economics, it can be used to model and predict the behavior of interest rates or stock prices. In physics, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. In engineering, it can be used to design stable control systems for various processes.