Prove that A is reversible matrix if B is reversible

In summary, using the identity A\widetilde{A}=(detA)I, it can be shown that if \widetilde{A} is a reversible matrix, then A must also be reversible. Additionally, it can be proven that det(\widetilde{A})=(detA)^{n-1} for any square matrix A. In order to prove the second statement, it is necessary to show that the situation where det(A)=0 and \widetilde{A} is invertible never occurs. This can be done by showing that if det(A)=0 and \widetilde{A} is invertible, it will lead to a contradiction.
skrat
Using [itex]A\widetilde{A}=(detA)I[/itex] prove that [itex]\widetilde{A}[/itex] is reversible matrix if and only if [itex]A[/itex] is reversible. Also prove [itex]det(\widetilde{A})=(detA)^{n-1}[/itex] for any square matrix [itex]A[/itex].

First part:
1. direction:
Lets say [itex]\widetilde{A}[/itex] is reversible, this means that [itex]\widetilde{A}\widetilde{A}^{-1}=I[/itex] and [itex]det\widetilde{A}\neq 0[/itex].

[itex]A\widetilde{A}=(detA)I[/itex] can than be written as:
[itex]A=(detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex] but now I don't know what else I can do here to prove that A is reversible?

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:
but now I don't know what else I can do here to prove that A is reversible?
Try to find a matrix, which, if multiplied by [itex](detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex], gives I.

mfb said:
Try to find a matrix, which, if multiplied by [itex](detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex], gives I.

Something like [itex]((detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1})^{-1}[/itex]? But I have absoulutely no reason to believe that [itex](detA)\neq 0[/itex] (that's what I am trying to prove).

[itex]((detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1})^{-1}[/itex]
[itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}[/itex]

Then do it as two separate cases:
Suppose det(A)= 0. Then what?

Suppose [itex]det(A)\ne 0[/itex]. Then what?

HallsofIvy said:
Then do it as two separate cases:
Suppose det(A)= 0. Then what?

Suppose [itex]det(A)\ne 0[/itex]. Then what?

Hmm, why don't I have brains like you? That would really help me! :D

Case No.1: suppose [itex]det(A)\ne 0[/itex]
[itex]A=(detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex] I can than multiply both sides with [itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}[/itex] which gives me
[itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}A=((detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1})((detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A})[/itex]
[itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}A=I[/itex]
So [itex]A[/itex] is reversible and [itex]A^{-1}=(detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}[/itex]

Case No.2: suppose [itex]detA=0[/itex]
[itex]A=(detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex]
[itex]A=0[/itex]

So if [itex]detA=0[/itex] than A is not reversible by definiton?

Does that sound right?

skrat said:
Hmm, why don't I have brains like you? That would really help me! :D

Case No.1: suppose [itex]det(A)\ne 0[/itex]
[itex]A=(detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex] I can than multiply both sides with [itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}[/itex] which gives me
[itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}A=((detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1})((detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A})[/itex]
[itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}A=I[/itex]
So [itex]A[/itex] is reversible and [itex]A^{-1}=(detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}[/itex]

Right

Case No.2: suppose [itex]detA=0[/itex]
[itex]A=(detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex]
[itex]A=0[/itex]

So if [itex]detA=0[/itex] than A is not reversible by definiton?

It is correct that ##A## will not be reversible. But it's not good enough. You are proving that if ##\tilde{A}## is invertible, then ##A## is invertible.
You have now found that if ##det(A)=0## and ##\tilde{A}## is invertible, then ##A## is not invertible. So you have found a situation where ##\tilde{A}## is invertible and ##A## is not invertible, but you had to prove that ##A## is always inverible whenever ##\tilde{A}## was. This is an apparent contradiction! To solve it, you must prove that the situation ##det(A)=0## and ##\tilde{A}## invertible never occurs! So you need to prove that if ##det(A)=0## and ##\tilde{A}## is invetible, then some contradiction occurs!

micromass said:
To solve it, you must prove that the situation ##det(A)=0## and ##\tilde{A}## invertible never occurs! So you need to prove that if ##det(A)=0## and ##\tilde{A}## is invetible, then some contradiction occurs!

Hmmm, I can see where this is going but up to this moment I haven't got a good idea yet. We often proved this kind of statement using paradox:
Let's say that ##A## is invertible and show that this statement will lead us to paradox and prove that ##A## is NOT invertible.

Hmm, if ##A## is invertible, than ##detA\neq 0## but one of the previous condition says that ##detA=0## and this is paradox, so ##A## is NOT invertible.

I tried using the same idea in equation: (so ##detA=0##, ##AA^{-1}=I## and ##\tilde{A}\tilde{A}^{-1}=I##)

##A\tilde{A}=(detA)I## but I didn't get really far this way... all I found out is that ##I=(detA)\tilde{A}^{-1}A^{-1}## where I can see that ##A=(detA)\tilde{A}^{-1}## which was obvious before too...

1. What is a reversible matrix?

A reversible matrix, also known as an invertible matrix, is a square matrix that has a unique inverse matrix. In other words, if matrix A is multiplied by its inverse, it will result in the identity matrix (a matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s elsewhere).

2. What does it mean for a matrix to be reversible in the context of linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a reversible matrix is a matrix that can be "reversed" or undone through a specific operation. This operation involves finding the inverse matrix of the original matrix. The inverse matrix essentially "undoes" the effects of the original matrix, allowing us to retrieve the original values.

3. Can you prove that matrix A is reversible if matrix B is reversible?

Yes, if matrix B is reversible, then it means that there exists an inverse matrix B-1 that, when multiplied with B, will result in the identity matrix. Similarly, if we multiply matrix A by its inverse A-1, we should also get the identity matrix if A is reversible. Therefore, if B is reversible, it implies that A is also reversible.

4. What is the importance of proving that A is reversible if B is reversible?

Proving that A is reversible if B is reversible is important because it allows us to determine the properties of matrix A based on the properties of matrix B. This can be useful in solving systems of linear equations or in matrix operations, where knowing the reversibility of a matrix can help us determine the existence of solutions or the feasibility of certain operations.

5. Are there any other conditions for a matrix to be reversible besides having a reversible companion matrix?

Yes, there are a few other conditions for a matrix to be reversible. These include having a nonzero determinant and being a square matrix. Additionally, if the matrix is a real matrix, it must also have a nonzero real eigenvalue. These conditions ensure that the matrix is not singular and can be "undone" or reversed through inverse operations.