1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that A is reversible matrix if B is reversible

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    Using [itex]A\widetilde{A}=(detA)I[/itex] prove that [itex]\widetilde{A}[/itex] is reversible matrix if and only if [itex]A[/itex] is reversible. Also prove [itex]det(\widetilde{A})=(detA)^{n-1}[/itex] for any square matrix [itex]A[/itex].

First part:
    1. direction:
    Lets say [itex]\widetilde{A}[/itex] is reversible, this means that [itex]\widetilde{A}\widetilde{A}^{-1}=I[/itex] and [itex]det\widetilde{A}\neq 0[/itex].

[itex]A\widetilde{A}=(detA)I[/itex] can than be written as:
    [itex]A=(detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex] but now I don't know what else I can do here to prove that A is reversible?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Try to find a matrix, which, if multiplied by [itex](detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex], gives I.

4. May 6, 2013 #3
    Something like [itex]((detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1})^{-1}[/itex]? But I have absoulutely no reason to believe that [itex](detA)\neq 0[/itex] (that's what I am trying to prove).

[itex]((detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1})^{-1}[/itex]
    [itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}[/itex]

5. May 6, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then do it as two separate cases:
    Suppose det(A)= 0. Then what?

Suppose [itex]det(A)\ne 0[/itex]. Then what?

6. May 6, 2013 #5
    Hmm, why don't I have brains like you? That would really help me! :D

Case No.1: suppose [itex]det(A)\ne 0[/itex]
    [itex]A=(detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex] I can than multiply both sides with [itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}[/itex] which gives me
    [itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}A=((detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1})((detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A})[/itex]
    [itex](detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}A=I[/itex]
    So [itex]A[/itex] is reversible and [itex]A^{-1}=(detA)^{-1}\widetilde{A}[/itex]

Case No.2: suppose [itex]detA=0[/itex]
    [itex]A=(detA)\widetilde{A}^{-1}[/itex]
    [itex]A=0[/itex]

So if [itex]detA=0[/itex] than A is not reversible by definiton?

Does that sound right?

7. May 6, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Right

It is correct that ##A## will not be reversible. But it's not good enough. You are proving that if ##\tilde{A}## is invertible, then ##A## is invertible.
    You have now found that if ##det(A)=0## and ##\tilde{A}## is invertible, then ##A## is not invertible. So you have found a situation where ##\tilde{A}## is invertible and ##A## is not invertible, but you had to prove that ##A## is always inverible whenever ##\tilde{A}## was. This is an apparent contradiction!! To solve it, you must prove that the situation ##det(A)=0## and ##\tilde{A}## invertible never occurs! So you need to prove that if ##det(A)=0## and ##\tilde{A}## is invetible, then some contradiction occurs!

8. May 6, 2013 #7
    Hmmm, I can see where this is going but up to this moment I haven't got a good idea yet. We often proved this kind of statement using paradox:
    Let's say that ##A## is invertible and show that this statement will lead us to paradox and prove that ##A## is NOT invertible.

Hmm, if ##A## is invertible, than ##detA\neq 0## but one of the previous condition says that ##detA=0## and this is paradox, so ##A## is NOT invertible.

I tried using the same idea in equation: (so ##detA=0##, ##AA^{-1}=I## and ##\tilde{A}\tilde{A}^{-1}=I##)

##A\tilde{A}=(detA)I## but I didn't get really far this way... all I found out is that ##I=(detA)\tilde{A}^{-1}A^{-1}## where I can see that ##A=(detA)\tilde{A}^{-1}## which was obvious before too...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted