Bessels Equation J(κx) instead of J(x)

• Thread starter gmanmtb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that J(κx) is a solution to the equation x2y''+xy'+(κ2x2-p2)y=0 by changing the form of Bessel's equation of order p. The speaker suggests using a change of independent variable, such as \overline{x}=κx, to solve for y in terms of \overline{x}. They explain the process of solving for the first and second derivatives in terms of \overline{x} and substituting them into the original equation to obtain an equation in y(\overline{x}) for which J(\overline{x}) is a solution, that is, J(κx).
gmanmtb
Hello all, I seem to be stuck trying to prove this one, I'm not sure if I'm headed down the right path or just missing something obvious

Homework Statement

The equation x2y''+xy'+(κ2x2-p2)y=0, where κ constant, appears frequently in applications. Prove that J(κx) is a solution by changing the form of Bessel's equation of order p. Do this by letting [itex]\widetilde{x}[/itex]=κx in the above equation and apply the chain rule.

Homework Equations

Well the first solution of Bessel's equation is
Jp(x)=[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}\frac{(-1)^{k}}{k!\Gamma(k+p+1)}(\frac{x}{2})^{2k+p}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the method I should be using is to use y(x)=Jp(κx)=Jp([itex]\widetilde{x}[/itex]) but from there I can derive y'=[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=1}\frac{(-1)^{k}(2k+p)}{k!\Gamma(k+p+1)}(\frac{\widetilde{x}}{2})^{2k+p-1}[/itex] and y''=[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=2}\frac{(-1)^{k}(2k+p)(2k+p-1)}{k!\Gamma(k+p+1)}(\frac{\widetilde{x}}{2})^{2k+p-2}[/itex] but from there I get fuzzy, I can't replace [itex]\widetilde{x}[/itex]=κx in a way that works out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. Make a change of indepedent variable and then solve for y in terms of [itex]\overline{x}[/itex]

For example, if [itex]\overline{x}=kx[/itex], then:

[tex]\frac{dy}{d\overline{x}}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{1}{k}[/tex]

solve for dy/dx, then compute the second derivative in terms of [itex]\overline{x}[/itex], solve for d^2y/dx^2, then substitute those into the original equation to obtain an equation in [itex]y(\overline{x})[/itex] for which [itex]J(\overline{x})[/itex] is a solution, that is, [itex]J(kx)[/itex].

What is Bessels Equation J(κx) instead of J(x)?

Bessels Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of certain types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves or sound waves. The J(κx) version of the equation is a modified form of the original J(x) equation, which takes into account the wave number κ. This version is often used in physics and engineering applications.

Why is Bessels Equation J(κx) used instead of J(x)?

The J(κx) version of Bessels Equation is used in situations where the wave number κ is not constant. This could be due to variations in the medium through which the wave is traveling or the boundary conditions of the system. In these cases, the original J(x) equation may not accurately describe the behavior of the wave, so the modified version is used.

What does the κx in Bessels Equation J(κx) represent?

The κx in Bessels Equation represents the product of the wave number κ and the distance x. This product is used to modify the original J(x) equation and take into account any variations in the wave number, as mentioned before.

What are some applications of Bessels Equation J(κx)?

Bessels Equation J(κx) has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves in cylindrical or spherical coordinates, as well as sound waves in a pipe or circular cavity. It is also used in the study of heat transfer and fluid flow.

Can Bessels Equation J(κx) be solved analytically?

Bessels Equation J(κx) can be solved analytically for specific values of κ and x, but in most cases, it requires numerical methods to find a solution. This is due to the complexity of the equation and the fact that it is a second-order differential equation. However, there are many techniques and software programs available to solve Bessels Equation numerically.