1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a linear operator is indecomposable

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V be a fi nite-dimensional vector space over F, and let T : V -> V be a linear operator. Prove that T is indecomposable if and only if there is a unique maximal T-invariant proper subspace of V.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the definition of decomposable with respect to matrices, but I can't manipulate it to answer this question.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2013 #2
    Start by providing us the definition of "indecomposable operator" and "T-maximal".

4. Dec 2, 2013 #3
    A n×n matrix A is decomposable if there exists a nonempty proper subset I⊆{1,2,...,n} such that aij=0 whenever i∈I and j∉I.

I only know the definition of maximal vector which is: A vector z such that the minimal polynomial of the operator T with respect to z = the minimal polynomial of the operator T, is called a maximal vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted