Prove that \sqrt{n+\sqrt{n}} is irrational for every natural number

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the irrationality of the expression √(n+√n). The speaker presents a well-written and logically sound proof, using mathematical principles and assumptions to arrive at a contradiction. However, they are advised to provide more context and examples for better understanding.
karseme
I am not sure if this is good, so I would like someone to help me a little and tell me if this is a good proof.
I know how to prove that, for example, \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2} \) is irrational, so I tried to do something similar with this expression.

So, let's assume otherwise, that \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n+\sqrt{n}} \) is not irrational, then it must be rational ie. \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n+\sqrt{n}}\in\mathbb{Q} \). Then we can write \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n+\sqrt{n}}=\dfrac{a}{b}, \, a\in\mathbb{Z}, b\in\mathbb{N} \). After squaring the expression, we have: \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n}=\dfrac{a^2}{b^2}-n \). Since \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\subset\mathbb{Q} \), then also \(\displaystyle n\in\mathbb{Q} \). And since there is closure of subtraction in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q} \), then \(\displaystyle \dfrac{a^2}{b^2}-n\in\mathbb{Q} \). So it is obvious that it must be \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n}\in\mathbb{Q} \). If n is not a perfect square then it is obvious that
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{n}\notin\mathbb{Q} \), so we have a contradiction. Then, let's assume that n is a perfect square then \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n}\in\mathbb{Q} \), and we can write \(\displaystyle n=k^2, \, k\in\mathbb{Q} \). Let's also assume that k is not a perfect square, then we have: \(\displaystyle \dfrac{a}{b}=\pm\sqrt{k(k+1)} \). But we assumed that k is not a perfect square so \(\displaystyle \sqrt{k} \) is irrational and therefore \(\displaystyle \dfrac{a}{b} \) is irrational which is in contradiction with assumption that \(\displaystyle \dfrac{a}{b} \) is rational. But also, if k is a perfect square, then it is obvious that \(\displaystyle k+1 \) is not a perfect square, so \(\displaystyle \sqrt{k+1} \) is irrational. Then again, \(\displaystyle \dfrac{a}{b} \) is irrational which is in contradiction with assumption that \(\displaystyle \dfrac{a}{b} \) is rational. So, \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n+\sqrt{n}} \) can't be rational, it must be irrational.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I would say that this is a logically sound and well-written proof. You have clearly stated your assumptions and used mathematical principles to arrive at a contradiction, which proves that the initial assumption is false. However, I would also suggest that you provide some more context for your proof, such as explaining the concept of irrational numbers and how they differ from rational numbers. This will help readers who may not be familiar with these concepts to better understand your proof. Additionally, it may be helpful to provide some examples or counterexamples to further illustrate your points. Overall, great job on your proof!

1. Is it possible to prove that √(n+√n) is irrational for every natural number?

Yes, it is possible to prove this statement using a proof by contradiction.

2. What is a proof by contradiction?

A proof by contradiction is a method of proof where one assumes the opposite of what is being proved and then shows that this leads to a contradiction, thus proving the original statement.

3. How do you start a proof by contradiction for this statement?

To start the proof, assume that √(n+√n) is rational for some natural number n. This means that it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, say a and b, where a and b have no common factors.

4. What is the next step after assuming that √(n+√n) is rational?

The next step is to square both sides of the equation a/b = √(n+√n) and rearrange the terms to get an equation in the form of n = (a^2)/(b^2) - √n. This shows that √n is also rational, which contradicts the assumption that a and b have no common factors.

5. How does this contradiction prove that √(n+√n) is irrational?

Since the assumption that √(n+√n) is rational leads to a contradiction, it must be false. Therefore, √(n+√n) cannot be rational and must be irrational for every natural number n.