Prove that the magnetic field at the centre of the sphere is zero when____

In summary, the conversation discussed proving that the magnetic field at the centre of a metallic sphere is zero when a current is turned on in the circuit. The situation involves two wires connected to random positions on the metallic sphere, creating a potential difference and a current flow. The solution involves considering the sphere as two different resistors connected in parallel, and determining the current density in different directions. The conversation also touched on the importance of understanding why the magnetic field is zero, rather than just relying on it being stated by a professor.
lindloda
A metallic sphere of radius R and specific resistance ρ is taken and two wires( negligible resistance) connected to it at random positions (say at an angle θ apart from each other.both the wires are perpendicular to the surface of the metallic sphere. Prove that the Magnetic field B at the centre O is zero when a current I is turned on in the circuit.

This situation is kind of like -
imagine a hollow pendulum . now its connected to one thread(suppose its a wire.) ...we connect another wire to this pendulum at a random position. and using a cell create a potential difference between the two ends of the wires such that a current flows through the wires, into the sphere ...all around the sphere and back to the other wire

What I did is assume to the sphere to be made of two different resistors connected in parallel. one piece subtends a solid angle dΩ at the centre and hence the other piece will subtend an angle 4∏- dΩ.
After that ...I have no clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints for you:

1. supposing the connections were made at 180 deg apart, like north & south poles, what would be the mag field at the center of the sphere?

2. Now assume the connections are made randomly. What can you say about the current density (amp/m2) in any direction but passing thru the center, compared to the current density of 1 above?

I know its really easy for north and south pole like situation, but
This is really different...and I'm not sure I follow your hint...

Well, what do you conclude is the B field at the center of the sphere when the connections are made to 180 deg. opposite poles, and what is your rationale?

Are you serious ?I know it's OBVIOUSLY ZERO for any position.Read the title pls.
And then as a mental exercise I invite you to think what does "Prove the mgn. field is zero" means ..

[Hint:
It means the magnetic field IS ZERO !]

I know it is zero.
I just need the solution .
I can't find it anywhere.

I hate to be rude but
I don't need cross questioning ..
All I want is the solution.

lindloda said:
Are you serious ?

I know it's OBVIOUSLY ZERO for any position.

If it's OBVIOUSLY zero for any position then you must know WHY it's obvious! Saying I know it's zero because my prof says so is not proving it.

I suggest showing mathematically that the B field is zero along the axis connecting contact points 180 deg. apart, then follow up with an argument why it should apply to any two connections.

lindloda said:
All I want is the solution.

Too bad. That's not what PF is about.

1. What is the significance of proving that the magnetic field at the centre of the sphere is zero?

The magnetic field at the centre of a sphere is an important concept in electromagnetism, as it helps us understand the behavior of magnetic fields within a three-dimensional space. Proving that the magnetic field is zero at the centre of a sphere can help us make accurate predictions and calculations for various applications, such as designing magnetic shields or studying celestial bodies.

2. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field at the centre of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field at the centre of a sphere is B = μ0M/4πr^3, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, M is the magnetic moment, and r is the distance from the centre of the sphere.

3. How does the magnetic field at the centre of a sphere differ from other points on the surface of the sphere?

The magnetic field at the centre of a sphere is unique because it is the only point where the magnetic field is zero. At any other point on the surface of the sphere, the magnetic field will have a non-zero value and will vary depending on the distance from the centre and the orientation of the magnetic field.

4. What factors can affect the magnetic field at the centre of a sphere?

The magnetic field at the centre of a sphere can be affected by various factors, such as the strength and orientation of the magnetic dipole or the presence of other magnetic fields nearby. It can also be influenced by the material properties of the sphere itself, such as its magnetic susceptibility and permeability.

5. How can the zero magnetic field at the centre of a sphere be experimentally proven?

To experimentally prove that the magnetic field at the centre of a sphere is zero, we can use a magnetic field sensor or a magnetometer to measure the magnetic field at different points on the surface of the sphere. By placing the sensor at the centre of the sphere, we should observe a reading of zero, confirming that the magnetic field is indeed zero at this point.